• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Notable Quotes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I was just having some fun looking up quotes and I found a couple good ones. Everybody, feel welcome to add your own quotes that you like!

"You say this is a computer for ordinary people? Why would an ordinary person want a computer?"
- Hewlett Packard executive to Steve Wozniak regarding Apple prototype

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value too us."
- Western Union internal memo 1876

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?"
-Steve Jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
"Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months."
- John C. Dvorak, PC magazine, a little over two years ago.

(This was the topic of an undead thread that was mercifully locked. Used to have that in my signature.)

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a mouse. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
- John C. Dvorak, 1984, supposedly in a PC magazine article. He has admitted to the statement on his blog.

And before anyone posts it...no, Bill Gates never explicitly said anything about 640K of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
technologist said:
"Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months."
- John C. Dvorak, PC magazine, a little over two years ago.

(This was the topic of an undead thread that was mercifully locked. Used to have that in my signature.)

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a mouse. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
- John C. Dvorak, 1984, supposedly in a PC magazine article. He has admitted to the statement on his blog.

And before anyone posts it...no, Bill Gates never explicitly said anything about 640K of memory.
But he did say (roughly) I see no advantage to the graphical user interface after the Xerox visit, right?

B

Badger

"I see a world market for four, maybe five computers." James Watson, President of IBM, 1943

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
“To create a new standard, it takes something that’s not just a little bit different, it takes something that’s really new and really captures people’s imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines I’ve ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard.” — Bill Gates

video: http://www.osdata.com/kind/gates.htm

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I saw the original, but was reminded of it in someone's signature....

"Mac-Forums.com is not responsible for Acts of God™"
-Schewb: April, 2nd 2005

J

Jefe3223

hahah, yeah! I knew that one would live in infamy. I'll come back with some good quotes, later...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Here a few of my favorites:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

"Its not easy being evil in a world that's gone to ****(H-E-double hockey sticks)" --Anton LaVey

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-- Thomas Alva Edison

...and here is a good one, after all, it is a Mac forum

"Interesting - I use a Mac to help me design the next Cray."
- Seymoure Cray, when he was told that Apple Inc. had recently bought a Cray supercomputer to help them design the next Mac.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens - Jimi Hendrix

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i have nothing to declare except my genius -oscar wilde

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, yeah I was kind of confused before...

Reaction score
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Aerodynamics are for people that cannot build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

There is also a Polk quote about not talking alot so you never have to repeat yourself, if anyone knows the exact quote, let me know.

J

Jefe3223

"Lookin' at that tired old freak, has made me realize, I'm no spring chicken myself. I can feel death's clammy hand on my shoulder...wait that's my hand." (Who said this, eh?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Jefe3223 said:
"Lookin' at that tired old freak, has made me realize, I'm no spring chicken myself. I can feel death's clammy hand on my shoulder...wait that's my hand." (Who said this, eh?).

Abe Simpson... too easy. ;)

-Chris

J

Jefe3223

bassplayrr said:
Abe Simpson... too easy. ;)

-Chris
I love it when there are actualy people around who KNOW simpsons quotes. My friends out here KNOW NOTHING...I need to go watch them to comfort me....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.