• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

80's or 90's

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of music from the 80's because music today is so watered down to me. What's hot:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What part of the world ru from macarany ??

Age group ??

I think this has a lot to do with "whats hot" ...

Personally me Live in Australia and from a early 70's baby and enjoy quite a variety of music...

Trance from my days in London
Indie Rock
Alternative
Folk as in Rodriguez
Reggae.. Bob Marley and Salmonella Dub
Alt rock Hip Hop ... Hilltop Hoods

And the list can go on.

It has to come down to personal choice i think ..
There is so many choices out there these days..
Only have a small library of 2000 odd songs but im a little selective in my choice..

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm... Both! And a lot of new stuff. You have to try and keep up, and once in a while you find a gem.
Current Gem? Fall Of Envy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Whatever sounds good?

Do you like heavy? Mellow? Etc...

I could name a ton of stuff you may like...then again maybe not. What you think is watered down is what I may really like and what I really like might be a bit out of your tastes.

Coheed & Cambria is one of my favorites. They're from the 2000's, but they're one of most talented bands I've heard in recent years. They took a page from Rush without realizing it and just totally owned at it.

August Burns Red is another one I like. They're a hardcore scream until your ears bleed band. My friend grew up with the bass player and I started listening because of him, but I need a little heaviness.

The Low Life is one a friend of mine turned me onto. They're mellow with a jazz sound. Kind of like Dave and Jack Johnson, but without being as big a production or as much of an acoustic act as the two respectively.

The Honorary Title is what you may consider indie. Bridge and tunnel scene IIRC? A little whiney, but they have that mellow sound that the girls enjoy. Pretty much any female I let listen to them enjoys is and that's important when you have guests to entertain.

Lupe Fiasco. Hip Hop. Like Kanye but without the VMA interruptions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'm the same, I'm 21 and listen to 70s & 80s constantly - I find it harder to find new 80's stuff!!

I try at all costs to avoid modern stuff. However, I was on a business trip and heard Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling and Hockey - Song Away on the radio and thought they were good.

I can't jump for 80's > current music easily though, you just occasionally find a song you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Whatever's hot, is whatever you think is hot.

In regards to the 80s/90s, I feel they are almost on par with each other. Each decade had its really good, and each had its very bad. Together.. They balance. That's my opinion.

Both decades have brought me some great music. I'm more of an aggressive kinda guy, but I do like my mellow stuff.

It's a bit hard to give you some suggestions when you haven't said what you like.

I could go on and on giving off punk/metal ideas. One band I will mention is Matchbook Romance. More specifically the album Voices.

It's one of those albums you can put on and listen through without a single complaint. Like one of those albums that tells a story and each song is a different chapter. It's a melodic roller coaster that I cannot get enough of.

You should definitely check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
I don't think there will be anymore new 80's stuff coming

lol...

Yea I'm going to have to go with the 90's over the 80's... The 80's had some good stuff but nothing like the 90's.

As for new music there's some good stuff out there you just have to dig for it. Chances are you wont find it on your radio dial :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I listen to artists from '95 and below. Of course, my library ranges from the 1920s to present, I just prefer artists from '95 on down :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I listen to all sorts of music that we still have record of today, from gregorian chant and before onward. As far as "modern pop" music is concerned, I prefer the late 60s/early 70s and late 80s/early 90s... maybe my band will fall into the late 2000s/early 2010s and get some popularity.

Reaction score
Theres a big conspiracy by the media giants to make you think this new stuff is good. They own the distribution. The stations. The record companies. A well know band was on Ellen the other day and it was Really BAD. Some of the new Club music is more like the past. So I have to go with the 80's. I was in High School in the 70's and still like my Disco.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The 70's and 80's are commonly referred to as the "Golden Age" of rock and roll, or popular music in general. I think the range is set as a matter of convenience. It's really the mid-60's to whenever. I'm not a music historian, so I don't know when the new wave hit, or remember what it was called. Was "heavy metal" the death knell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I don't think there will be anymore new 80's stuff coming

LMAO! :D

What I mean is stuff I haven't heard before... If I've never heard a song before then its new to me. Probably worded that wrong.

Reaction score
The 70's and 80's are commonly referred to as the "Golden Age" of rock and roll, or popular music in general. I think the range is set as a matter of convenience. It's really the mid-60's to whenever. I'm not a music historian, so I don't know when the new wave hit, or remember what it was called. Was "heavy metal" the death knell?

Heavy heavy metal really hit in the late 70's Before that it was less harsh in the late 60's like Cream and groups like that. The albums where works of Art. The New Wave hit in the early 80's and pushed Disco out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
New Wave hit in the early 80's and pushed Disco out.

Now if I would've just capitalized that, it would look like I knew the lingo! :)

Reaction score
Now if I would've just capitalized that, it would look like I knew the lingo! :)

New Wave ..Heavy Metal...an Easy Listening (those late night infocommercals..Yak) ran throw the 80's into the 90's when Rap and Hip-Hop wiped everything out. Thats when I changed to Electronic,House,Trance,New Jazz.. as close as you could get to the old disco and new wave sound.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I grew up in the 70's but I'll go with 80's music for 200 Alex. ;D
From Classic Rock to the death of Disco to Italo Pop Disco to electro Pop to Hip-Hop to Hi-NRG to the birth of Chicago House Music to Acid House to Detroit Techno to Glam Rock to Hip-House. Man I love the 80's!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.