using my tv as my monitor

Reaction score
Hi guys quick introduction needed first i suppose, been a long time lurker on this forum but never registered because i've never had any answers for anyones quetions! hopefully from now on i can be of some help however on this occasion i am asking you guys for some help.

I recently bought a new unibody macbook pro unibody 13" of which is my first mac so brand new to using them. i also bought the minidisplay port to hdmi adaptor as i planned on playing movies and using my 42" philips cineos plasma tv as a monitor. plugged it ll in this morning and am not that impressed with the colours/ stretching. had a play around with the settings but can't pinpoint the best one. just wondering what the optimal mac and tv settings would be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Hmm that is weird. I have the 13" macbook pro unibody. However I didn't know that they actually had a mini display port to HDMI which is cool. I actually went form mini dvi-to-dvi, then dvi-to-hdmi. Then I switched it to the input and then my macbook pro recognized it and then bam it was on the TV. Didn't have to adjust anything. It just worked.... and look pretty good. And also movies look good on it as well. So I dunno I didn't have to fiddle with any of the settings. (however my TV is actually kind of old bought a 60 inch LCD sony back in '05) But yea I didn't have to tweak the settings of the tv at all. Maybe someone else will have the same TV as you and be able to tell u something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
I also had this problem with my TV (Panasonic Viera 37" LCD). Havn't been able to get the resolution right at all. The screen does not fill the screen, or it is FAR to big, and when playing movies (which is what I actually wanted to do), the movie fills a tiny strip in the centre of the TV screen.

Not that that answers your question! :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.