9+ seconds to go into idle? up to ONE minute to shut off!? *** sl

Reaction score
My mbp would shut down instantly when I would close the screen.Now it takes 9 or more seconds.And shut down? yea ill have some good 4 second shut downs but other than that,I will be here for a good minute.

This is aggravating. I thought sl was suppose to be perfect? And on top of that my expose does not work properly. I swipe one way and it gets stuck.I try getting out swiping and it jus blows and goes back to whatever I was at (expose or desktop)

help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Eh, 9 seconds to go to sleep from lid closure is about right for my Macbook Pro. When I close the lid to go home from work I wait about five seconds to pick it up and by the time it's in the case the light will be in "breathe mode." Zip up and go. Kind of like sex at a hotel with a hooker. Every day. No complaints. Get home and on lid opening it's about two seconds from password entry to up and running on wifi. Again with the sex with a hooker analogy.

As for a full shutdown, well yes it takes a little bit longer for that to happen. But that doesn't happen very often, so I don't remember how long it takes for it to shutdown. Usually when that happens it's because of a software update, so I've quit all my applications prior to that.

Can't think of a hooker analogy for that one. Anyway this all sounds pretty normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Download and install the "SmartSleep Preference Pane". It's free and was just recently updated for Snow Leopard.

Give it a try.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The timing is off and you need an oil change. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
SmartSleep is a big help when I know I'm gonna be on the go all day, opening and closing my MBP. It's also nice to have a hibernate option.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My mbp would shut down instantly when I would close the screen.Now it takes 9 or more seconds.And shut down? yea ill have some good 4 second shut downs but other than that,I will be here for a good minute.

This is aggravating. I thought sl was suppose to be perfect? And on top of that my expose does not work properly. I swipe one way and it gets stuck.I try getting out swiping and it jus blows and goes back to whatever I was at (expose or desktop)

help please.

No OS is perfect right after release. It will go through 2 or more major revisions until Snow Leopard starts being rock solid. Heck, I would argue that Leopard was pretty flakey up until 10.5.3 or so. It's also going to take awhile for the developers to catch up and get third party applications up to snuff. Until then, you can either grin and bear it or revert back to Leopard. If your machine is mission critical in some way, I'd strongly suggest that you do so.

OP
I
Reaction score
So pretty much suck it up and bear with it? Why does leopard work fine (on and off) and sl messes up with something so simple? I mean idle and shutting off is nothing..And the expose mode as well..***.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So pretty much suck it up and bear with it? Why does leopard work fine (on and off) and sl messes up with something so simple? I mean idle and shutting off is nothing..And the expose mode as well..***.

Not sure. I'm not seeing any of the issues that you're describing. I had an issue early on that was resolved by removing some incompatible beta software. But other than that, SL works as well as (and in some cases better than) Leopard for me.

My guess is you've either got some incompatible software or a bad install. I would recommend backing up your system and doing a completely clean install. Do NOT add any third party software at all and test all known-problematic functionality. If everything checks out, start adding in apps one by one and testing to see which one triggers the issues.

OP
I
Reaction score
To the OP:

Download and install the "SmartSleep Preference Pane". It's free and was just recently updated for Snow Leopard.

Give it a try.

Regards.

Dont understand any of the stuff it says.I dl and put smart sleep and now it takes 20 seconds to "sleep" when u shut the screen..

I just want my computer to turn of when I close it and shut off like its suppose to.I dont understand why it goes from 4 seconds to shut off and INSTANT power off to 15 seconds to idle on a full charge and 1 minute to turn off..

Not sure. I'm not seeing any of the issues that you're describing. I had an issue early on that was resolved by removing some incompatible beta software. But other than that, SL works as well as (and in some cases better than) Leopard for me.

My guess is you've either got some incompatible software or a bad install. I would recommend backing up your system and doing a completely clean install. Do NOT add any third party software at all and test all known-problematic functionality. If everything checks out, start adding in apps one by one and testing to see which one triggers the issues.

Question,when I back up on TM does it save my 3rd party apps? Or just the main stuff on the computer.

Also im post what I have on my computer in a bit.

System pref I have
-flip4mac
-iStat
-Perivian

Downloads I have
-cocout battery
-smcfan control

The rest are stuff like
Limewire
journlr
pod to mac.
ect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
When is the last time you deleted your caches? That could have a lot to do with it also.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you're not using OnyX with Snow Leopard because the current version (2.0.5) is not compatible and may actually cause problems. I tried an older version that I used with Leopard and it too would not work right with Snow Leopard. Hopefully Titanium software is working on an update.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Main menu 1.7 works fine; so does Applejack 1.5.

OP
I
Reaction score
I hope you're not using OnyX with Snow Leopard because the current version (2.0.5) is not compatible and may actually cause problems. I tried an older version that I used with Leopard and it too would not work right with Snow Leopard. Hopefully Titanium software is working on an update.

Regards.

uh...I have lol.Should I delete it now and stop using it =-0?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uh...I have lol.Should I delete it now and stop using it =-0?

Yes. Remove OnyX and wait for an update from Titanium Software. In the meantime you can use Main Menu (shareware) or YASU (donation ware). Both have been updated for Snow Leopard. Some folks also like Applejack 1.5. I personally do not like it nor recommend using it but that's up to you.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Whenever a new OS comes out you have to be prepared to wait for unexpected bugs to be worked out. Apple is usually good about updating frequently; there have already been two software updates for Snow Leopard. I imagine many more are on the way. In the meantime, you might want to check this SL compatibility chart to see what apps have been updated and which ones won't work. If you're not sure, don't install it!

Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.