Windows 7 and Bootcamp

Reaction score
i just got an new imac and i am thinking about installing windows7 beta with boot camp

i will mostly be using vmware inside my mac running the version of windows on my mac that is installed with boot camp for the few apps i cant get on the mac not very much but just some. vmware will be linked with windows7

what i would like to know is there problems with running windows7 under boot camp and vmware on top of my mac and what about when windows7 comes out how would i go about installing the final version when it comes out. do i login to windows 7 and upgrade that way?

thank you for your help cant believe how much faster mac is

Reaction score
Why do you need to run BootCamp and Fusion at the same time - why not just run Fusion? You would only need boot camp if one of your applications required native access to hardware (e.g., a separate graphics adapter).

As for the upgrade, my understanding that you will need to purchase a full copy of Windows 7 when it becomes available. Upgrade pricing is available only for Vista installs (at least as I understand it). But when you get the disk, you would upgrade while in Windows just like you ordinarily would (although I would definitely back it all up). One nice thing about Fusion as your only Windows source is the Snapshot feature - by taking a snapshot of your VM just before the upgrade, you can always go back to that snapshot. Much simpler.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My understanding at this time for those running the Win 7 beta - you'll not be able to do an upgrade install to the retail version. It will require a fresh install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Extremely helpful link. You should consider posting it as a sticky - we are going to get a lot of requests for this info ...

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
so i just be able to login to the windows 7 install and update the the final verion there yer i may need to run under bootcamp at times for games but that is about it

OP
M
Reaction score
so i can simply run windows 7 beta now and update it in windows 7 on a later date ? is that right and will there be an problems in doing this

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.