Thumbnail, but no file in iphoto ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have a number of photo's in iphoto and i want to edit them. Problem is the thumbnail is there but there is no file as such of the photo.

I go the file info and the thumbnail brings up the specifics, then i goto find file and it isnt there. When i click on it, to edit it brings up a monstrous white i on black background.

Its obvious that the file has been deleted, so my question is ... is there anyway to re generate the thumbnail to produce another file/picture ???

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
Bottom line. turn every drive you own on and see if that helps.

I started getting a similar problem when i changed my method of importing pictures. I used to import directly from the memory card in the camera, and have had no problems. I switched to dumping the memory card to an external drive first as a backup and importing from that folder. Once import was done and Time Machine did its magic i would format the memory card.

I then discovered that if i turn off the external drive with the BACKUP folder on it that i imported from I would get the big "I". I turn on the external drive and the all is well. I have no clue how iPhoto is structured but it sure seems like the main photos must be stored in multiple locations. But then, why do i have over 100gig library of iPhoto? I have 36,000+ digital pictures and still growing. i don't keep every shot either, only the better ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.