Help with programme for webpage!

H

hoov

Hi!

My wife & daughters hobby is horse riding! The club where they ride has a home page. They've now asked me if I would like to take over the home page. Update it, make it "prettier" nicer to look etc. etc. I know for a fact that it's built using a PC of some sort(!) She says that as I "only have a Mac" I can't help with their home page, surely this can't be true!!!!!!!

I have no idea about webdesign, and have no homepage myself. What programme do I need to buy to help them? I've heard that to be able to upload, update the site, that I have to use some "codes". I don't mean HTML, but a code to access the site. I also know that my wife has these codes. Is it GoLive or something like that that I need to purchase??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
HOOV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can download the entire site, including all images and html files and other files used to buil the page originally using firefox. its another web browser that allows you to save pages and sites. once you have these things, its as if you're building it from scratch. use dream weaver or some other web design app to edit the pages as you want. you can even rebuild it from scratch so its yours, then just update images by naming them the same as current files and replace them when uploading. you can still do this without totally rebuilding the site. another good web app is called rapid weaver, its template based and really easy.

Reaction score
I would read some HTML tutorials online to learn about the basics of HTML. Even really expensive web authoring programs like Dreamweaver require some knowledge of HTML in order to do the more complex things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
even with little or no html knowledge, you could get by in dreamweaver, of course you'd at least have to have some graphics knowledge and apps to design the pages elements.
rapidwaever is extremely simple also. but what exactly is it that you are looking for in an app, or in your venture into this?

OP
H

hoov

Thanx!!

Hello again!

What I'm looking for as I said in my first thread is a simple way of updating and improving an exsisting webpage. Yes it'll more than likely become my job to do in future, as the person that's doing it now doesn't seem that keen on updating the site. He still has links on it to join in the various activities in 2004, but NOTHING for the upcoming events in 2005!!!!!!!!!

As far as I can tell, it seems that I've got to learn the basics of HTML, and get a copy of DreamWeaver, I already have FireFox. But as I mentioned, don't you have to use some form of code to be able to upload to a website??

Regards
HOOV

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If I understand correctly, you might be talking about an FTP application. The FTP app is what is used to upload the files to the website. I use CyberDuck, an FTP app, which will upload files. And it's free. Other members have favorites, but this is mine. You might want help from the guy, who built the website for you to understand the FTP application, if it is your first time using it. You might also want to get ask how he organize the files on the website, so you know where upload certain files to. It's pretty simple; it's basically dragging and dropping files into folders just like on your mac in Finder.

Cyberduck:
http://cyberduck.ch/

OP
H

hoov

Well yes I guess it is iWhat.

But the thing is I didn't know that was what I wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I said I'lle be taking over the webpage, so yes updating with jpegs, pdf's etc is all a part of it. But improving the look of it as well is where I guess I use, DreamWeaver or RapidWeaver.

I know that he's a PC user, so his programmes won't work for me, but I do have VirtualPC 7.0.1 with XP Pro, so I guess I could use the same programmes as he is using.

But I'd just love at some point to be able to be able to do the whole thing myself, and then have an Apple sign at the bottom of the page, and write Made on a Mac!!!!!!

Regards
HOOV

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Well, as far the original website designer saying that you can't help with the website is not true, just as you thought because you're on mac. But what she might be talking about is that the program that she used might have been constructed using a Windows native app such as FrontPage, or whatever it's called, yuck! We here and others loathe the program, because the program inserts useless html code, which only makes it run well in IE, which is not good for other browsers and especially us mac users' browsers. You'll either need to start from scratch making website or you'll need to dissect the old website's html code and get rid of the extra stuff, if the orginal web designer used FrontPage. But by any means, avoid installing VPC just to use her program that she used to make it. There are way to many amazing websites that sell website templates and programs that will give you amazing results. Rapidweaver is great just as Macman suggested; it has beautiful templates for you to choose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Dreamweaver has a built in FTP program, same with Contribute so you would not need a 3rd party FTP app.

OP
D

design2

firstly you need a number or address to the website host (where the pages are)
which will be like ftp.mediatemple.co.nz or maybe the name of your site
ftp.sitename.com a login name and a password, without these you cannot upload back onto the site.

if you just want a basic program to update the site (e.g change image and text)
you can get a free program called NVU at http://www.nvu.com/
if you are really interested in more features and understanding more get macromedia dreamweaver as mentioned before. try deals at ebay.com and so forth..also u could download the trial for 30 days to see if it suits u.

As for the people saying you can't cos ur on a mac, well thats bull.

ppl on macs can use the internet make pages and do anything pcs can do and more. macs can adapt and open most windows files and has features to save and likewise . unlike pc's which have trouble opening mac files.

hope this helped.
liam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.