Flip4mac questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB
Hi all,

I have a question regarding Flip4mac...

I have some WMV files on a DVD and I can play them back fine on my Macbook using the Flip4mac plug in Quicktime. However, whenever I play them, Flip4mac always 'imports' the file before playing it back. Does anyone know what this 'import' is doing? Is it storing the file on my Macbook before playing it back? If not, what is this import actually doing?

Secondly, will my Flip4mac & Perian plugins work in Snow Leopard or will I have to wait until they are patched to work in Snow Leopard? Will I need to install the optional Quicktime 7 that is on the Snow Leopard install disc?

Many thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Flip4Mac adds Windows media codecs and playback capabilities to Quicktime

The way it works is to translate the file, so you are seeing the video importing in to a format Quicktime can play

Both Flip4Mac and Perian add codec support to Quicktime's core engine, so that any Application, Quicktime X, quicktime player 7 and any other program like MPEG Streamclip or even Safari can use files encoded with these codecs.

As for Snow Leopard support, I haven't heard yet that they do not work, you may just have to give them a go

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB
Thanks for the reply Louishen.

So, is the 'import' stored anywhere? If the file is being translated by Flip4mac, is the translated file stored on my Mac or is it just a temp file that is automatically wiped when I have finished with it? I wouldn't want all of these 'imports' to be stored locally on my Mac, taking up hard drive space.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THey are probably cached but wiped when you quit Quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List
Flip4Mac is 32 bit only which doesn't work with 64 bit Safari or 64bit QuickTimeX
Still waiting for Perian
Don't expect any Plugins, Safari add ons, Third party Services, 32bit Screen savers (ie all pre snow leopard) or System maintenance apps like Onyx / Cocktail to work with Snow Kitty.

Updates are arriving thick & fast so probably not too long to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The converted footage isn't stored anywhere. It's just a process that needs to happen every time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.