Time Capsule

Reaction score
My time capsule says "preparing to backup" and it nevers works.

Anyone know how can i erase it so i can start all over again?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What do you mean with " it never works " ..... Are you backing up wireless ?
How much data are you backing up ?
What do the logs indicate ?

I know from experience that TimeMachine needs a bit of time, so be patient.

Have been in that situation " Preparing / Fiinishing backup " many times and you just need to wait.

I have complete confidence in TimeMachine and TimeCapsule, but it takes a bit of time .

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
I have it full to 500gb.

Backing up wireless, it worked half an year, and now, in one month can't do a single backup.

What do you mean the logs?

Have been in that situation " Preparing / Fiinishing backup " many times and you just need to wait.
-> it stays like that for hours

Thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
can you let it run overnight and see what happens .....

after installing SL i had 8 GB to backup and it took nearly 2 hours " preparing " because the " event database " needed to be re-created.
I let it run overnight and all was fine.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the great support people!

And waited at least 3 hours nothing happened, in the preparing phase.

Then i installed leopard and tryed again.

this time appeared "calculating changes" i left it overnight and it is saying the same thing.

Also the light in the time capsule appears yellow flashing.

Don't work :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
According to the Setup Guide, a flashing amber light means:

"Your Time Capsule can’t establish a connection to the network or the Internet, or is encountering a problem. Make sure you have installed AirPort Utility and use it to get information about what might cause the status light to flash amber. See “If Your Time Capsule Status Light Flashes Amber” on page 31."

Then, on page 31 it states:

"If Your Time Capsule Status Light Flashes Amber The Ethernet cable may not be connected properly, your Time Capsule may be out of range of an AirPort network, or there may be a problem with your Internet service provider. If you’re connected to the Internet with a DSL or cable modem, the modem may have lost its connection to the network or the Internet. Even if the modem seems to be working properly, try disconnecting it from its power supply, waiting a few seconds, and then reconnecting it. Make sure your Time Capsule is connected directly to the modem via Ethernet before reconnecting power to the modem. For more information about why the light is flashing, open AirPort Utility, select your Time Capsule, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Click Base Station Status to display information about the flashing light. You can also select “Monitor base station for problems” in AirPort preferences. If the base station has a problem, AirPort Utility opens and walks you through solving the problem."

Try this:
Open up Airport Utility. Make sure your TC is highlighted. Click on the 'Manual Setup' button. Make sure you're on the 'Summary' tab and double click the light next to 'Status' and follow the steps. Hit 'Update' when your done.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the great support bobtomay!

I followed your steps and appeared an image with my TS with the amber light.

and the text:

"problem 1 of 1: few space on the intern disc. time capsule disc has few space to storage".

:|

OP
R
Reaction score
then i try to open the ts manually and delete a folder manually and appears

"it wasn't possible to complete the operation because ocorred an unexpected error. code of the error - 8072"

OP
R
Reaction score
Is working now :D

When i was in leopard i couldn't delete files directly from the time capsule.

now i have this functionality. i have deleted an entire folder and now it works!

snow leopard is great!

i just thought time capsule would delete himself when needed and didn't needed to do it manually :|

thanks for everyone that helped!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad you got it working, I was a bit lost with the translation to english of your error message.

Sounded like the Time Capsule hard drive was full and I wasn't sure what to tell you to do.

OP
R
Reaction score
eheh not the best translation :)

Again thanks for the great support.

If it happens next time i already now what do do. hope this time he renew the disk space automatically, i think in the past he was able to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.