Few Windows 7/BootCamp Questions

Reaction score
I was just wondering a few things, some help would be much appreciated. First off, although Windows 7 isn't available for DL anymore, if I were to get the .iso would I still be able to run it with bootcamp? Secondly, what are the steps required? And last, will a 4.7g Dvd-r do for burning it?

Oh and on a side note, I don't have an external hard drive, how can I partition my drive again for Time Machine? Or is there another method? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM
I did this exact thing this weekend with no problems.

1. Burn the .iso image to DVD (its only approx. 2.5Gb)
2. Use Boot Camp to divide your disk into 2 partitions. I created a 90Gb partition for windows. Win7 Ultimate uses approx 15-20Gb for the basic installation)
3. Boot Camp asks for the windows DVD, put it in your DVD drive
4. When the windows setup starts, select the partition BOOTCAMP as the destination for windows
5. wait for windows to install
6. once windows is installed and setup, put your Mac OS X DVD in the drive and run the setup.exe to install the bootcamp drivers (this installs the drivers for graphics, network, etc for the mac hardware)
7. Done.

so far no problems. remember to hold down the option key when starting the machine to give you a choice of OS to start. I think it defaults to Win7 but this can be changed.

Good Luck.
itlee.

OP
O
Reaction score
Ah thanks a bunch, I was just wondering are you using the 32 bit? Cause the version I have is 64 an it's 4.1gb or something like that, so just wondering if they follow the same rule or if I should get the 32, I'll try it anyways, thanks :p oh yeah just to follow up 4.7gb verbatim dvd-r's will work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM
do you have a 64bit processor? if not you'll have to use 32bit. regarding the dvd size, yes the verbatim 4.7gb will work.

itlee.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh and on a side note, I don't have an external hard drive, how can I partition my drive again for Time Machine? Or is there another method? Thanks in advance
Putting your TM backup on the same drive defeats the purpose of having TM. Sure, you can recover files if you delete them but if your primary drive dies, so does your TM backup. You really need to have TM on a separate drive.

OP
O
Reaction score
Okay so, as of right now I have 2 copies of windows 7, 64-bit and 32-bit, just installed Snow Leopard, partitioned the disk, tried almost EVERY method I could find on the net but nothing works, I keep getting the NO BOOTABLE DEVICE screen. At this point I'm not sure if it's the file that's the problem, maybe it's a bad download. I could have burned the DVD wrong, am I supposed to burn the ISO or it's contents? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are really helping me out, much appreciated :p

OP
O
Reaction score
Ah another question do you need the win7 download from the m$ website? Or can you just find any reliable torrent and use it? Cause at this point I have 4 useless DvDs(I think) and no Win7, any help would be very very much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.