SuperDuper! wiped my External

Reaction score
So... here's the deal:

in prepartation for snow leopard I decided i better do a backup of my drive. I turned to trusty old super duper...
i
did a backup using "smart update" which in the past has left all my files on my external drive intact and copied over my main drive. however today it decided to simply erase the drive and then do a backup. It's NEVER done this before in the past, and i've now lost everything on my media drive: music, photos, movies, everything.

i dont know if theres a way i can get around this but honestly I feel like im going to be sick now... any help would be greatly appreciated.

can i recover what was lost? or am i completed effed in the a? the irony: doing a backup and in the process losing everything that counted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I'd look into some type of recovery or undelete software. You may have to pay for it but as long as you didn't write anything overtop of your wiped drive, you should be able to recover data off of it.

Just make sure you don't write anything until its recovered. Your data is still there, but if you save new files overtop it'll be gone.

You also may want to contact Shirtpocket to let them know what happened. they may be able to help and are very quick to respond.

Good luck.

Tim

OP
E
Reaction score
well the superduper backup wrote to the drive obviously but i haven't written anything to it since then...

god i feel so ill. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you had not used SD for a while, it is necessary on starting to go into options and manually choose Smart Update. Otherwise it will just run into a reformat clean Back Up. Say she is gone gone gone alas!

Shoot straight over to Shirtpocket Forums and ask if there is way to recover.

SuperDuper! - Shirt Pocket Discussions

OP
E
Reaction score
well i definitely picked smart update... but who knows what could have happened...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
SuperDuper probably thought it had never backed up your computer before, so it just wiped your drive clean. It does that. It erases the backup drive completely before its first backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.