USB Drive Problems

Reaction score
Hey All!

I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive from MicroCenter. I have been using it to go between a Mac OSX 10.5.8 and a Windows 2000 Professional. I have been doing this for a few months. I just pulled it out of the Windows machine before it "ejected it properly" and now it is not being recognized in either computer. I checked out Disk Utility in Mac and Disk Management in Windows and it does not even recognize anything is plugged in. Any suggestions? I have a lot of stuff I need off here!!

Thanks!

-SP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Eeek. It sounds like you have corrupted the data. This is normally only fixable by re-formatting, which is not an option here yet.
It may well be worth you trying something like this:

Exif Untrasher - Carsten Blüm: Mac Development

It worked for me when my wife's camera card failed and wouldn't mount.

OP
savvypyrate
Reaction score
Great Idea! I tried it but nothing is popping up to allow me to choose the USB as the storage problem.

OP
savvypyrate
Reaction score
Ok I just popped it in a Windows XP machine and it recognizes that somethings there but says it needs to be formatted. The Mac and Windows 2000 machines still don't recognize it. Maybe I can quick format it and recover? Anyone know any good recovery programs?

-SP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm, the trouble is that you can't see it in disk utility either, so reformatting may not even be possible anyway.
It may well be that unplugging it suddenly has fried the internal power board for the drive.
I don't really know what to suggest if that's the case, but there may be a way of removing the memory and putting it in another carrier, but it's not something I have done, or know to have been done.
I'll try and look into it.

Ok, we obviously typed at the same time!
Try it in the Mac again and see if it shows up.

OP
savvypyrate
Reaction score
Ha! It's all good! Just tried that...still nothing. What if I formatted it on the XP machine? Any suggestions on a good recovery program?

OP
savvypyrate
Reaction score
It makes me nauseous having to use windows ;-) Think it would work if I formatted in Windows and Recovered in Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you format you will lose all of your data, because it erases everything, so while it will make it readable (if you format as FAT 32) you won't have anything to recover.

OP
savvypyrate
Reaction score
What if I Quick Format? Doesn't that only delete the Main Table...thingy and not the data itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know, that's obviously a Windows only thing, so over to someone else for that info, sorry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.