Fatal Error Installing XP Pro SP2

Reaction score
Im an engineering student and just bought a new MacBook Pro and an trying to install XP Pro SP2 OEM on my computer and I keep running into a Fatal Error that says install cant proceed because it cant find the file E:\i386\asms : inpage error. any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Reaction score
First please confirm that you have the right kind of OEM version - only the "System Builder's OEM" or a full retail version of XP SP2 will work in boot camp (I assume you are referring to a boot camp installation although you didn't specify). If you are using the OEM disk from a computer vendor, such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc., or a volume-licensed version of XP, those will not work and will produce errors.

If that's what you have, you'll need to purchase a System Builder's OEM version or full retail version. The only difference between the two is the licensing terms; the SBOEM version can only be used on one computer, ever. the full retail version can be used on multiple computers but only one at a time.

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry about that. it is indeed a system builder OEM that i bought brand new in shrink wrap and it is boot camp installation

Reaction score
Hmm. That is odd, then. Have you verified/checked your disk and permissions lately? You may also want to see if your disk is fragmented, perhaps a defrag would help. I'm afraid I don't have much else for you. Sorry.

OP
J
Reaction score
disk is fine...not sure what you mean by permissions? the particition is freshly formatted so probably not a frag issue

Reaction score
Run Disk Utility and from there, do verify/repair permissions and verify/repair disk (if necessary). Won't hurt and will tell you if there are issues.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.