PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR For Beginner?

bennjiboi
08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
What are some models I should be looking at? I was going to look at higher end point and shoot digital cameras but would like to start editing some photo's and learning the in's and out's of photography.

I just expect to be taking happy snaps first, then find what I'm really passionet about and follow that.

Should I invest in a good point and shoot frist then do digital SLR?

I was even looking on eBay just for ideas/prices so any suggestions would be great!

Also, I'm looking into tables. I want to get the new Wacom I4 but it's a little out of the price range I think I'm willing to spend and I dont know if it's worth getting a 4x6 lol?

Will that be to small to be doing work on? I'm thinking 6x8 will be a better size..

Leukeh
08-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Some people may disagree with me on a few points... but here goes.

I'd go for an entry level DLSR (such as the Canon 500D or the Nikon D40) - you can get them for just a little bit more than a high end point and shoot and the amount of control you get out of them is worth it. Not to mention you can eventually upgrade lenses to experiment with different types of photography, something you couldn't do with a point and shoot.

eBay is a great place to buy, but do your research elsewhere. Find out what camera you want and THEN go to eBay.

I've worked on a 4x6, 6x8 and and A4 tablet and for me, the best size was 6x8. A4 was too big and I felt I was using my elbow too much and couldn't get smooth lines and the 4x6 was just too small to be able to do any detail. 6x8 is perfect for me but it's worth finding a way to try them out before buying.

Kevriano
08-28-2009, 05:02 AM
I'd definitely be looking at the Sony A350 too, great camera's, feature packed and well priced.

bennjiboi
08-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Yeah I was having a look at Sony - Being new to the market I dont know what specs to look for so I'm just looking for somthing well priced and well known.

Tablet wise, I think I'll just part with the cash and get a 6x8 I4 from wacom.

What featurers should I look for in a D SLR?

Kevriano
08-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah I was having a look at Sony - Being new to the market I dont know what specs to look for so I'm just looking for somthing well priced and well known.

Tablet wise, I think I'll just part with the cash and get a 6x8 I4 from wacom.

What featurers should I look for in a D SLR?

You want to get as much spec as you can afford, but I think the most important thing is a good quality lens, because a 12 million pixel picture taken through a bad lens won't look as good as a 2 million one taken with a great lens.
I don't think that full manual mode is necessary to start with, but most D SLR's have it anyway.
The biggest difference with the top range models over lesser models are things like faster ISO settings, fast frame rates, better build, better lenses etc.
It's so competitive now that all cameras are heavily laden with features anyway.

gagnerants
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
It could also be worth your while to buy the body and pick out which lens that you would be using soon. The D40 is nice as well as the D90 or the new D5000 it all depends on your budget the feel in your hand and what you like.

indianavtx
08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
+1 on the D-40, I just bought one a few months ago and love it.

Village Idiot
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Skip entry level and buy used. You can find used Canon 40D's for about $600. Killer deal for a killer camera.

Plus it's a proven fact that Canon is the best camera company evAr.

Dysfunction
08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Skip entry level and buy used. You can find used Canon 40D's for about $600. Killer deal for a killer camera.

Plus it's a proven fact that Canon is the best camera company evAr.
I don't mind their cameras technically.. but I HATE their SLR ergonomics.

PortraitChic
08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Frankly, if you're going to dive into DSLRs, take a close look at lenses and let that be you're deciding factor. Most would agree that the best lens come from Nikon and Canon. I personally prefer Canon's. The lens will be where you spend most of your money and since even entry level SLR's will take a great pic with a good lens . . .and as your photography improves, you can invest up for a better body. Afterall, technology in the SLR market is rapidly changing.

If I could just make a humble plug :)

Nikon makes great cameras, there's no doubt about it . . .but they're slow to release technology on the market, preferring to test, test and test adnausem. Canon on the otherhand, develops fabulous technology and puts it in our hands to test. They listen to the prosumers and give us what we want. I like that in a company.

Good luck with your purchase :)

pigoo3
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
What are some models I should be looking at? I was going to look at higher end point and shoot digital cameras but would like to start editing some photo's and learning the in's and out's of photography.

I happen to have a Nikon D80. I'm quite "clueless" when it comes to DSLR's...but most of them have an "auto" exposure feature where all you have to do is adjust the "zoom" if it's not a fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens...then point & shoot like more entry level consumer cameras.

As I learn how the use the "DSLR" features...I can take it off "auto" mode...and go crazy!!!;D

I'm in no way endorsing any particular brand...just that if you have the bucks...you don't have to limit yourself the low-end DSLR's...since even the medium & higher end ones have the "auto" exposure feature.

And like has already been mentioned...lenses with various zoom ranges are available (and can get expensive)...so check out lenses as well to see what you like (and price) before deciding on a DSLR brand camera.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Dysfunction
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
IMO the best thing you can do is go with the one you're most comfortable shooting with. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent quality cameras, no if's and's or but's about that... but if you're uncomfortable using it it does you no good... so I shoot Nikon SLR's (have been since my first FM2Nt) and Canon point and shoots.

Nethfel
08-30-2009, 05:34 PM
One tid bit that no one mentions here - if you are going to go into DSLR, choose carefully about which manufacturer you want to go with.

Canon and Nikon are the two best manufacturers. Sony makes a decent dSLR, as does Olympus, etc. but they rarely come up to Nikon and Canon in terms of output quality (especially at higher iso ratings), feature set, overall build quality. Canon and Nikon also are well known for their glass in the business - there's a reason why on the sidelines you'll see the white of a Canon L lens or the blackness of the Nikon lens and body; although there are some other manufacturer bodies being used - nikon and canon have the greatest presence.

It won't matter too much for your first camera as chances are you'll end up getting a kit with pre-bundled lenses. The issue becomes as you purchase glass. If you really get into photography, you'll find you'll spend significantly more on glass than on the camera body (even if you were to buy a $10K camera body, chances are you'll spend more on glass in the long run). As the glass is a major investment - that investment also makes it more challenging to just swap manufacturers since lenses are not compatible across nikon/canon/sony/olympus/etc. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you're going into dSLR land now, don't invest heavy into glass until you've found a system that you really like and feel you'll want to stick with.

Some good places to research camera bodies, including in depth reviews, samples, noise graphs, etc. is:
dpreview.com
steves-digicams.com
luminous-landscape.com
digitalcamerareview.com (good reviews, but I don't like their advertising)
and there are others that provide good reviews too, but these should get you started.

My personal favorite is dpreview, only because they provide extremely in depth reviews, flaws, things the camera excels at and comparison photos between a given camera and others in its same genre. Note that not every camera is reviewed, but they do have a lot. Their forums are kinda rough tho and I long ago stopped posting there.

I've shot with Kodak (back when they made the DCS pro cameras), Fuji (nikon body, fuji sensor and electronics), Nikon and Canon. Personally I like Nikon. Others like Canon and others like Olympus, sony, etc. For each manufacturer you'll find people that like that manufacturer and can give you an opinion about why that one is best. Look for the sample photos, resolving capability of the sensor, issues with the camera, ISO performance (ie: if a dSLR can't shoot above iso 200 without adding a ton of noise or major smearing, it's one to steer away from). Megapixels is not the end all be all way to choose a camera. Anything 6 mpix or greater that generates a quality image will print a great 8x10 (I have some that are 13x19 and 16x20's that are prints from a 6 mpix camera that came out wonderful). Check multiple reviews to make sure you understand the strengths and weaknesses of a camera before you choose.

Granted, this may sound scary, but one you really start looking, it's not as daunting as it may seem as you'll start to know what to look for in a camera.

pigoo3
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
One tid bit that no one mentions here - if you are going to go into DSLR, choose carefully about which manufacturer you want to go with.

To be honest...I think at least two people that posted mentioned this already!

- Nick

ThomasCooke
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I would suggest a Canon EOS 1000D. This is a very good camera for both trying out new shots as well as certain types of shots such as night shots :)

Also, since this was my first DSLR I wasn't lost in the various settings and menus of the camera and it also has automatic modes and a good choice of settings in the manual modes :)

Tom.

bennjiboi
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to look second hand. There was a lot of what seemed to be good deals on line.

I dont know a lot about len's but I guess that will all come with time. I'll get my camera then come consult when I need to get a new lens!

You guys rock thanks for all the suggestion and explination!

I'd be lost without this forum!

bennjiboi
09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm looking to buy a Canon EOS 400D, I saw 450D but there were a lot of bad reviews for that model..

Suggestions? I am just going to buy second hand and try to pick up something that might have a few lens to get me started..

Kevriano
09-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Canon lenses are generally excellent, as are Nikon.
Sigma make fine lenses for all makes too, and are generally cheaper than big name brand lenses (by that I mean Canon, Nikon etc). APO lenses are the best (apochromatic coated).
It really depends on your budget and what you intend to shoot.
If you can give me a pointer there I will scout Ebay Aus for you, to see what I think is worth a look.

bennjiboi
09-01-2009, 07:59 AM
That would be great, I have been hunting for a little while, just seeing what things are actually going for.

I was hoping to aim for about $800 but I'm thinking I will have to spend a little closer to $950 - $1000

Kevriano
09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Ok, I'll take a look.

Kevriano
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Definitely worth a look are:

Great camera, superb amount of gear with it. May be a bit short notice?

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera with 3 lenses & gear! NEW - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 02-Sep-09 13:18:44 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Camera-with-3-lenses-gear-NEW_W0QQitemZ170377371485QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Dig ital_Cameras?hash=item27ab485f5d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_992wt_917)

Another good Canon deal:

Canon EOS 400D 28-105mm AND 50mm Lenses + accessories - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 04-Sep-09 20:28:58 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-400D-28-105mm-AND-50mm-Lenses-accessories_W0QQitemZ220474481537QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item33554d9b81&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_686wt_917)

This may go a bit high, and only one (very good) lens.

Nikon D40x Digital Camera with AF-S DX VR 18-55mm Lens - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Sep-09 14:24:53 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Camera-with-AF-S-DX-VR-18-55mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ230372920018QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Di gital_Cameras?hash=item35a34bcad2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

And another, high start price, hence no bids!

Nikon D60 Kit. Two VR lenses. 18-55 and 55-200mm - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Sep-09 21:01:46 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D60-Kit-Two-VR-lenses-18-55-and-55-200mm_W0QQitemZ110429329923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_D igital_Cameras?hash=item19b619da03&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

One more Nikon!

Nikon D40x Digital Camera with AF-S DX VR 18-55mm Lens - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 07-Sep-09 09:49:55 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Camera-with-AF-S-DX-VR-18-55mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ170376668531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Di gital_Cameras?hash=item27ab3da573&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_724wt_917)

Top of your budget, but 3 lenses (Tamron are good btw):

Canon 400D + 3 lenses + EXTRAS - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 08-Sep-09 06:19:26 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-400D-3-lenses-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ290344410794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Digital_Cameras?hash=item4399e01eaa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

Lots of bids already, but great camera, probably hit the top end of your budget too.

Used Nikon D60 & Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR "Mint Condition" - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 08-Sep-09 22:54:19 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Used-Nikon-D60-Nikon-AF-S-18-55mm-VR-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ320417917580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item4a9a656a8c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_9314wt_917)

I hope that gives you something to go on, and hopefully others will look at those and offer opinions too.
Don't stick to eBay of course, many stores do good deals (here in the UK at least anyway).

Doug b
09-01-2009, 09:21 AM
There are some things which I'm not sure were mentioned or not. I personally own a Nikon D300 which I love to death and would not trade for ANY Canon on the market for one reason alone, and this reason is a make or break kind of thing for me (as it was when looking for an DSLR).

Ergonomics and the menu system. I took my time when looking at cameras, and luckily I live in NYC so going into B&H Photo and playing with every camera I possibly could, was a no brainer. I had already ruled out Pentax and Sony because I had considered night time shooting, which means the possibility of using higher ISO levels. And while both companies make decent cameras, I already knew that their high ISO capabilities were very lacking when compared to their Canon and NIkon counterparts.

I did look into Olympus for a bit, but decided against the four thirds lens system(personal preference). It was then up to Canon or Nikon to sway my decision.

I looked into Canon first because of its reputation. I have friends who own Canon gear as well, so I know what quality photos Canon's produce. However, I was thrown aback by something that I just couldn't get past with every Canon model I tried. That being the basic ergonomics of each model.

From the way that the grip felt in my hand, the feel of the materials and weight distribution, to button placement and then ultimately (and as or if not most importantly) the menu system, things seemed inconvenient and cluttered.

Enter Nikon. The moment I picked up a Nikon, I knew at least, that I was going to be able to hold one with no discomfort for extended periods of time. I also knew, by looking at all the menu and function buttons, that I'd be able to operate the camera in a much faster and more natural fashion, all while looking into the view finder and shooting at the same time.

The menu and sub menu system(s): Canon REALLY needs to revamp their menu function and sub menu function systems. Nikon absolutely has things down pat in this regard. User made custom menu's are all at my finger tips. Things that I'd have to go 4 levels deep for in a Canon menu, can be one press of a button on my D300. I won't go into specific details about which, since it's easy to research.

As far as color rendition and photo quality in general goes, there's only one thing which one might dare to compare with Canon and Nikon at this point, and that's noise. However it's such a negligible difference, that it's not worth even debating, really. Otherwise, some people simply prefer the hue's and tones which Canon SLR's produce and visa-versa.

The biggest factor after all this or perhaps even before all this (this depends on how far you plan on going with photography) is :

Lenses. Aside from the fact that there are certain Nikon lenses which are AVAILABLE or better at what they do vs their Canon counterparts AND visa-versa, you have to look at how much money you plan on investing in what could either be a hobby, or something that makes money for you.

Right now, Canon users have the advantage of being able to save some money vs. what they'd be spending on Nikon lenses. In the current economy, Nikon has pulled a pretty bold but perhaps necessary move, and have raised prices on practically all of their lenses. Across the board, you can likely get a Canon lens of the same focal length compared to a Nikkor lens for usually about $300-$400 cheaper. That winds up being a very significant difference when you start buying prime lenses (if that's your thing.)

I personally speaking am very happy with my decision and love my D300. I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.8; Sigma 17-70macro; Sigma 28mm 1.8(FABULOUS lens) and a Nikkor 70-300 VR. I'd still purchase a Nikon today, regardless of the price hikes because I love the tones and colors the lenses/bodies produce and all of the things I listed above.

IF Canon bodies felt the same, and the menu system and ergonomics were closer to that of Nikon's system, I'd certainly re-consider going the way of Canon for sure.

Doug

P.S.

If going Nikon, and staying on a budget, go with a D40 rather than even a D80. Much better flash configurations and better high ISO output amongst other small things. I'm actually considering getting one as a second body/back up.

Village Idiot
09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't mind their cameras technically.. but I HATE their SLR ergonomics.

That's OK, we're not all perfect.

I would suggest a Canon EOS 1000D. This is a very good camera for both trying out new shots as well as certain types of shots such as night shots :)

Also, since this was my first DSLR I wasn't lost in the various settings and menus of the camera and it also has automatic modes and a good choice of settings in the manual modes :)

Tom.

40D is a better bargain.

Village Idiot
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm looking to buy a Canon EOS 400D, I saw 450D but there were a lot of bad reviews for that model..

Suggestions? I am just going to buy second hand and try to pick up something that might have a few lens to get me started..

Used 40D's can be had for $600, aboot $700 with a lens. $800 could get you a 40D, kit, and 80mm f/1.8. Great starter's kit and so much better than any of the Rebels out there or any Nikon deal.

Doug b
09-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Used 40D's can be had for $600, aboot $700 with a lens. $800 could get you a 40D, kit, and 80mm f/1.8. Great starter's kit and so much better than any of the Rebels out there or any Nikon deal.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

A Nikon D40 and two lens kit such as the one listed here:

9420 Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX - USA Warranty (http://www.adorama.com/INKD40K2.html)

is a much better deal in general and all around if someone isn't sure about what they like to shoot or what lenses to start out with. Granted, I'd rather have an 1.8 vs a slower lens, but if shooting outdoors during the daytime.. that's not an issue. Or if one has a tripod for night shots, not an issue there either.

The question is then.. what is the buyer shooting ? Indoor studio stuff, or outdoors ? Outdoor nature shots, sports or landscapes ? Has anyone asked any of these questions ?

P.S. forgot to mention. The D40 has a 6.1 and 10.1 Megapixel version. The above is the 6.1. The 10.1 MP body can be had refurbed for very cheap: INKD40XRA Nikon D40X Digital SLR Camera Body Only Kit, Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. with 2 GB SD Memory Card, Spare EN-EL9 Lithium-IonBattery, Slinger Camera Bag (http://www.adorama.com/INKD40XRA.html)

I'd still go with the 6.1 MP version though. Lil Blurb:

In March 2007, Nikon announced a 10 megapixel version of the D40 called the D40x. This essentially swaps the D40’s existing 6 Megapixel sensor for the one in the higher-end D80. This in turn allows the D40x to inherit a 100 ISO mode along with slightly quicker 3fps shooting, although also a reduced flash sync speed of 1/200.

Otherwise though it’s the same camera as the D40. As such, while the higher resolution will satisfy anyone who was put off by the D40’s 6 Megapixels, they’d still be looking at a DSLR which only had a basic 3-point AF system, manual focus with certain lenses, no depth-of-field preview and no direct access to settings like ISO and White Balance.

If you’re after the easiest and friendliest 10 Megapixel DSLR, then the D40x should certainly be on your shopping list, but if you’re after a bit more power and control, the Canon 400D / XTi could be a better bet. See our Nikon D40x review for more details.

Village Idiot
09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Disagree wholeheartedly.

A Nikon D40 and two lens kit such as the one listed here:

9420 Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX - USA Warranty (http://www.adorama.com/INKD40K2.html)

is a much better deal in general and all around if someone isn't sure about what they like to shoot or what lenses to start out with. Granted, I'd rather have an 1.8 vs a slower lens, but if shooting outdoors during the daytime.. that's not an issue. Or if one has a tripod for night shots, not an issue there either.

The question is then.. what is the buyer shooting ? Indoor studio stuff, or outdoors ? Outdoor nature shots, sports or landscapes ? Has anyone asked any of these questions ?

P.S. forgot to mention. The D40 has a 6.1 and 10.1 Megapixel version. The above is the 6.1. The 10.1 MP body can be had refurbed for very cheap: INKD40XRA Nikon D40X Digital SLR Camera Body Only Kit, Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. with 2 GB SD Memory Card, Spare EN-EL9 Lithium-IonBattery, Slinger Camera Bag (http://www.adorama.com/INKD40XRA.html)

I'd still go with the 6.1 MP version though. Lil Blurb:

You're allowed to disagree, but you're not right. $100 more with a camera that will auto focus will all of Canon's current lens lineup, has 14 bit vs. 12 (iirc), shoots 6.5 fps, has 10mp, faster more accurate AF, a magnesium body, and a host of other features, every single one of which is better when compared to the D40. Plus it uses a CMOS sensor vs. a CCD, which allows greater high ISO performance vs. Nikon's cheaper and/or older cameras. It's comparing apples to oranges. A mid level Canon vs. and Entry level Nikon for about the same price.

And a tripod won't do anything at night if you're shooting moving objects. I mean, if I could use a tripod at concert venues, it wouldn't do anything vs. being able for me to get clean shots at 6400 ISO with my camera (not a 40D).

The only reason I'd buy a D40 (which doesn't work with a D40x) is that it's mechanical shutter allows the X sync to effectively not be limited, meaning I can shoot at the highest shutter speed with a strobe as long as the strobe has power or isn't limiter by an intermediate, like a wireless trigger...No HSS needed. But that's all probably a bunch of gibberish to most people, so it doesn't really matter in this conversation.

bennjiboi
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Definitely worth a look are:

Great camera, superb amount of gear with it. May be a bit short notice?

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera with 3 lenses & gear! NEW - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 02-Sep-09 13:18:44 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Camera-with-3-lenses-gear-NEW_W0QQitemZ170377371485QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Dig ital_Cameras?hash=item27ab485f5d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_992wt_917)

Another good Canon deal:

Canon EOS 400D 28-105mm AND 50mm Lenses + accessories - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 04-Sep-09 20:28:58 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-400D-28-105mm-AND-50mm-Lenses-accessories_W0QQitemZ220474481537QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item33554d9b81&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_686wt_917)

This may go a bit high, and only one (very good) lens.

Nikon D40x Digital Camera with AF-S DX VR 18-55mm Lens - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Sep-09 14:24:53 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Camera-with-AF-S-DX-VR-18-55mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ230372920018QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Di gital_Cameras?hash=item35a34bcad2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

And another, high start price, hence no bids!

Nikon D60 Kit. Two VR lenses. 18-55 and 55-200mm - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Sep-09 21:01:46 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D60-Kit-Two-VR-lenses-18-55-and-55-200mm_W0QQitemZ110429329923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_D igital_Cameras?hash=item19b619da03&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

One more Nikon!

Nikon D40x Digital Camera with AF-S DX VR 18-55mm Lens - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 07-Sep-09 09:49:55 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Camera-with-AF-S-DX-VR-18-55mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ170376668531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Di gital_Cameras?hash=item27ab3da573&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_724wt_917)

Top of your budget, but 3 lenses (Tamron are good btw):

Canon 400D + 3 lenses + EXTRAS - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 08-Sep-09 06:19:26 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-400D-3-lenses-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ290344410794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Digital_Cameras?hash=item4399e01eaa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_932)

Lots of bids already, but great camera, probably hit the top end of your budget too.

Used Nikon D60 & Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR "Mint Condition" - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 08-Sep-09 22:54:19 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Used-Nikon-D60-Nikon-AF-S-18-55mm-VR-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ320417917580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item4a9a656a8c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_9314wt_917)

I hope that gives you something to go on, and hopefully others will look at those and offer opinions too.
Don't stick to eBay of course, many stores do good deals (here in the UK at least anyway).

Kevriano, your awsome!!

bennjiboi
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I am a little confused when you all talk tech specs, but I think first things first I will go in store to see what feels the best in my hands.

As to what I will be shooting.. I'm not exactly sure? I live on the beach so hoping to venture outside but as a h airdresser, I would love to be doing my own shoots etc..

I think I have bitten off a little more then I can chew!

I didnt realize there was soo much differance with cameras.. Will I be at any disadvantage if I buy Y rather then X?

Or will it all just be a learning curve?

bennjiboi
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I just wanted to share what I was watching in eBay..

Canon EOS 400D Digital Camera with 18-55mm + 75-300m... - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 03-Sep-09 15:07:55 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150368690131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

And this was my second choice..

Canon EOS 450D EF-S 18-55 IS Kit - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 10-Sep-09 19:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330356270222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

What do you guys think??

Is there alot is any real differance between the 2 models?

Again, no real reason for my selection bar one of those two still having a few months waranty!

Nethfel
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
To be honest...I think at least two people that posted mentioned this already!

- Nick

Actually only one referred to the serious investment in glass that I was referring to (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images-graphic-design-digital-photography/164380-digital-slr-beginner.html#post896639 ) which was a post I did miss as I was reading the thread :Oops: - although that person suggested choosing solely on lenses where I was suggesting choosing based upon the entire system.

The only other post on glass (that I did notice) was talking about how quality glass affects the IQ which is a separate issue as in the case of Nikon and Canon both produce top quality optics where my concern was cost of switching systems due to need to replace glass.

Kevriano
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
I just wanted to share what I was watching in eBay..

Canon EOS 400D Digital Camera with 18-55mm + 75-300m... - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 03-Sep-09 15:07:55 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150368690131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

And this was my second choice..

Canon EOS 450D EF-S 18-55 IS Kit - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 10-Sep-09 19:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330356270222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

What do you guys think??

Is there alot is any real differance between the 2 models?

Again, no real reason for my selection bar one of those two still having a few months waranty!

The biggest difference between those 2 is the sensor, one being 10.6 million, the other 12.2, but to be honest, even if you blew them up to poster size you'd be hard pushed to tell between them based on those figures.
The 450 was basically Canon's replacement for the 400, but it came out so soon after to try and keep up with Nikon etc, that there really isn't enough of a difference.
Of the 2 deals there, the first is the better one in my opinion. 2 Lenses, which cover a lot of shooting options.
I don't think you can go far wrong with Canon, despite the dissenters here, and I am a Minolta man, so I am not biased.
You are starting out from scratch, whatever you buy you will ultimately replace, and so go to a store and check the camera's out, and as you say, get a feel for them.
Good luck.

bennjiboi
09-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I am now the proud owner od a Canon 450D with a Canon 18-55mm IS stabilizer lens

*grin*

bennjiboi
09-13-2009, 11:12 PM
That was mean to be 'proud owner of' lol

Any suggestions on where to start with general terms etc..?

I understand a little about iso etc.. but if someone could reccomend maybe like a dummys guide to DSLR's that would be sweet or even just some sites with good referance?

I'm not a complete tool but would like some more understanding :) :)

Kevriano
09-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Congrats dude!

This may be a bit basic, but it's pretty good:

Digital Cameras - A beginner's guide - photo.net (http://photo.net/equipment/digital/basics/)

bennjiboi
09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Sweet I'll check it out! Hey, Is there any reason why I cant tether with aperture?

:(

I see most Canon's can but for some reason the 450D cant?

bennjiboi
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I have a dumb question: Someone told me I should be using PS Elements.. I'm using Aperture and CS4 at the moment..

Should I bother switching to Elements? I'm guessing this is a beginners/hobbyist program?

Village Idiot
09-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Elements is the stripped down version of PS IIRC.

Kevriano
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I have a dumb question: Someone told me I should be using PS Elements.. I'm using Aperture and CS4 at the moment..

Should I bother switching to Elements? I'm guessing this is a beginners/hobbyist program?

Elements is CS4 lite (very lite!) basically, but no reason not to use CS4.
Personally I don't use either. Let the original photo speak for itself in my mind.
Very occasionally I will adjust exposure or saturation, but iPhoto can do that well enough.
You should learn about correct exposure first and learn to adapt to different lighting situations, and practice!
The beauty of digital is that you can take as many photo's as you like to get what you want. Back in the day you had to have them all processed. I have thousands of unused prints in boxes!
Just my opinion, but it will make you a better photographer.

bennjiboi
09-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm going to spend the day on Sunday just shooting to get used to things and take some time to adjust to my gear!

I'm still learning featurers of the camera, I dont understand how to incorp iso and shutter speed to work together.. I guess that will come with practise.

Is there some bench mark rules I should follow? Any pointers would be great.

I'm letting the camera do most the work atm and just manually focusing etc.. I think I will take some lessons to give me a heads up and then move from there.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Village Idiot
09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Is there some bench mark rules I should follow? Any pointers would be great.

LEarn. That's about it.

IanCT
09-22-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm going to spend the day on Sunday just shooting to get used to things and take some time to adjust to my gear!

I'm still learning featurers of the camera, I dont understand how to incorp iso and shutter speed to work together.. I guess that will come with practise.

There's some guides online, but real quick, ISO is basically the camera's sensitivity to light. In dark rooms or areas where there's little light and you can't (or don't want to) usa a flash, crank up the ISO and notice how the picture gets better, but at the same time you'll suffer some grainyness.

Shutter speed is just that, seconds or fractions of a second, the faster it releases, the less light gets in. At slower actuations, the more light and the more susceptible to blur if using hand held instead of a tripod.

Another one to learn is aperture. How much light is let in during that duration of the shutter actuation, and at the same time affecting your depth of field (DoF). Ie: ever notice how much the background is more or less blurred in a photo graph, it is proportional to the aperture f-stop. The lower the number the wider the lens opens and the more light is let in, making a shallow depth of field. The higher the number, tighter aperture and less light gives a greater depth of field.

A -not so bad- explanation of DoF.
Depth-of-field explained (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Depthoffield-explained-4631)
And a more confusing one, but better pictures at f/8, f/5.6 and f/2.8
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm)