Drive Failure on G4 XServe

S

smj97t

The boot drive on our Dual 1 GHz G4/1 GB ram/Server 10.3.8 is failing according to Server Monitor and Disk Utility. However, running Disk Utility off the CD reports no errors. I have a drive installed that was supposed to be used as a mirror for a file storage drive on the machine, but was not configured correctly in the original setup. My idea is to create a disk image of the boot disk to an external firewire drive, erase the "mirror" drive, restore the image of the boot disk to the "mirror" and swap it into the bay that currently houses the boot disk.

Will this work? What else do I need to do to protect myself? This is a major leap in the level of work I've done on a Mac, so I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it'll work, just don't short change yourself, if that mirror drive is slower speed than the actual drive, as a server, you'll really notice the difference.

OP
I

iDVFH.

W

What's the difference between an XServe G5 and an XServe RAID? and to be honest wit ya..i dont even know what an xserve is..lol..is it a "super computer" that can attach to a whole bunch or different computers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.