virus on windows xp

Reaction score
hello,

i recently downloaded a program off the internet that ended up being a trojan (even though i had mcaffee, it did nothing to stop it) and has now infected my computer, only the windows side that is. i restarted windows (through VMWare) and it comes up with a DEP message saying the startup file cannot start or else it will be infected. McAffee did a scan of files that are corrupt and i attached screenshots of what those files are.

i tried to do a system restore by logging into safe mode, then going to command prompt, but once there, it sent me to a blue screen saying there was problems and the computer had to shut down.

should i delete the files from the windows HD partition that mcaffee lists as viruse, and trojans? i'm afraid those are important files that actually need to be restored. laugh at me now if i'm completely out of touch.

bottom line, i need to clean my windows xp and rid the virus, so i may continue to use it for CAD!

any and all suggestions, help, tips would be greatly appreciated as my self business is now stalled. ugh

thank you all very much in advance!

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like the virus ate your lunch. :[ Since it's only a VM, it should be easy to resolve....

Did you make a "snapshot" of the VM? If so, restore the "snapshot" of the VM allowing it to overwrite the current VM. That will remove the virus infections.

Otherwise, delete the VM and create another. I know that's a lot of work but in the long run will be easier to manage.

I'm surprised McAfee didn't spot the trojan. Might be time to switch to another AV program. PC World just recently did a review of all the popular free AV programs and chose Avira PE as one of the best. I have never liked McAfee or Norton for many reasons. :(

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
sorry i am a little vague. if i delete the VM, meaning VMware i'm assuming? won't that mean i have to reinstall windows as windows is corrupted.

i do not have the windows xp disk anymore, nor the product key. and i never took a snapshot in VMware so i cannot restore it to that point.

any pointers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you have a dilemma. You don't have much in the way of choices.

Try to identify the virus. Then do a Google search for a cleaning solution to get rid of it. McAfee, Symantec, Zone Labs, and many others provide free cleaners for certain viruses. Follow their directions. If you can't find a way to clean the virus from the VM, you have no other choice but to delete it and start over.

If that means you have to obtain another copy of XP you can always buy an OEM system builder's version from NewEgg or Amazon. Or, move up to Windows 7. You may be able to still get a copy for $69.00 before it's released in October. Good luck.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.