Are a Couple Questions OK? Well, I am sure I will soon know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
I finally switched to a new MBP 15" and I also got an iPhone and MobleMe.

I am taking one step at a time and not doing too well. The display was bothering me first of so I tried to make that a bit less Intense for lack of a better word. I sit outside a lot near a HotSpot and the gloss on the display was incredible. It was like clear nail polish was just coated on the LCD. Does this machine come in the non-glossy display?

OK, sorry my questions.
1. I am not sure where to start with the Mail and all that is available to me. If I had ben using (or have been using) gmail only and it was easy to go to google.com and get that, I hit a snag that will force me to learn more. I had not even go to syncing my iPhone or using MobileMe yet. I get overwhelmed and it psyches me out, but I think the snag that I came across was I cold not open an attachment sent to me at gmail. I assume it had something to do with it being a Microsoft program that created it and I have nothing set up (that I am aware of) to take over for Word or other attachments that the MBP wishes not to open.

So, I thought I would send my gmail to my Mail.app. Is there a straight-forward step by step way to do this? I should not ask, because I know there is but when you want something, it seems hard to find what I saw once. anyway, anybody know where I could find those Instructions?

So, I told you how I have been getting my gmail up first because I want to take it to a step that will allow me to not have trouble with attachments like this anymore (assuming the reason I think I am having the trouble is the reason) but any thoughts on a better way to do things since I am new at Apple products and I have the iPhone which I think the ability to synch everything with MobileMe is awesome but I am not sure I will ever actually be able to have it make my life a bit simpler.

I appreciate any help, and if getting my gmail to come through the Mail.app is a good next step, does anybody know where the simple step by step instructions are? I like Mail but I am such a novice at this, I like anything that works 90% of the time and I never had that with windowezzz.

Thanks and I do not expect a book now but maybe some steps to get me going in a direction that would be easier (and I am aware that can be very personal) but maybe a way that most people start to migrate toward when all this stuff is new.
And, yes I did buy One-to-One and have used it once where the personal trainer led the course. I think I need to go with more questions and some idea of what I would like to cover. I think I understood about 3% of what I was told the fist class.

Thanks and I am anxious to open this attachment. I guess I should say that (well, I guess I have said this may times) I get my gmail from using Safari and going to google.com

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I finally switched to a new MBP 15" and I also got an iPhone and MobleMe.

I am taking one step at a time and not doing too well. The display was bothering me first of so I tried to make that a bit less Intense for lack of a better word. I sit outside a lot near a HotSpot and the gloss on the display was incredible. It was like clear nail polish was just coated on the LCD. Does this machine come in the non-glossy display?

Yes.

OK, sorry my questions.

That's what we're here for, no need to be sorry :)

1. I am not sure where to start with the Mail and all that is available to me. If I had ben using (or have been using) gmail only and it was easy to go to google.com and get that, I hit a snag that will force me to learn more. I had not even go to syncing my iPhone or using MobileMe yet. I get overwhelmed and it psyches me out, but I think the snag that I came across was I cold not open an attachment sent to me at gmail. I assume it had something to do with it being a Microsoft program that created it and I have nothing set up (that I am aware of) to take over for Word or other attachments that the MBP wishes not to open.

So, I thought I would send my gmail to my Mail.app. Is there a straight-forward step by step way to do this? I should not ask, because I know there is but when you want something, it seems hard to find what I saw once. anyway, anybody know where I could find those Instructions?

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Gmail Help

And make sure you install some office software that can handle MS Office docs. If you want to try something free, give this a shot:

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

So, I told you how I have been getting my gmail up first because I want to take it to a step that will allow me to not have trouble with attachments like this anymore (assuming the reason I think I am having the trouble is the reason) but any thoughts on a better way to do things since I am new at Apple products and I have the iPhone which I think the ability to synch everything with MobileMe is awesome but I am not sure I will ever actually be able to have it make my life a bit simpler.

You're probably not able to open that attachment on your iPhone, because iPhone doesn't have any apps to open Office docs out of the box. Visit the app store and take a look, there are many options to do this.

Oh, and if you're referring to your Mac, it's probably just that you don't have any Office software installed on that either. If you download OpenOffice at the link above, that should do the trick. Alternatively, you can always buy MS Office for Mac or Apple's iWork.

I appreciate any help, and if getting my gmail to come through the Mail.app is a good next step, does anybody know where the simple step by step instructions are? I like Mail but I am such a novice at this, I like anything that works 90% of the time and I never had that with windowezzz.

Thanks and I do not expect a book now but maybe some steps to get me going in a direction that would be easier (and I am aware that can be very personal) but maybe a way that most people start to migrate toward when all this stuff is new.
And, yes I did buy One-to-One and have used it once where the personal trainer led the course. I think I need to go with more questions and some idea of what I would like to cover. I think I understood about 3% of what I was told the fist class.

Thanks and I am anxious to open this attachment. I guess I should say that (well, I guess I have said this may times) I get my gmail from using Safari and going to google.com

I highly recommend this book:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596529529): David Pogue: Books

Easy to read and should get you up and running very quickly.

Good luck and welcome to Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
i'm fairly new to mac as well. i suggest you try openoffice.org before expending more money (there will be soo many other things to purchase). openoffice as said is free and quite a good product. works with ms office products.

the missing manual is a great, great book! worth the investment. also, a couple of ppl on this forum have put together youtube beginner videos that are also worth their salt as well.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Wow Some Real Help. Thanks!

I had bad luck at apple.com/support. I was told to just ignore that stuff and try to learn but with some of the comments, I had a hard time even reading something that some real mean people sent me-so I looked for a few other resources. Here I am ad from what I can see the atmosphere is more relaxed.

As far as Office 2008for Macs, I actually have to have that Program for the academic program i am the main dead of. I should do it right and try to set a good example. I never got into Office, except when I had my own business I used Publisher and loved it. I was really impressed and produced some stunning marketing materials. I guess that is not even available for Macs but maybe I can learn their version.

I read some shot replies before I post this, but I wanted to have this and it all for tomorrow during some fee time I have. If I am asking something that has already been asked please do not shoot me.

I have never been on You Tube. I am sure I can find it and just search for Mac video for Beginners, or something like this. And the manual, or "Missing Manual." Do you mean you though Apple should have included a hard copy manual? I will have to look for this too, but I found a manual in Finder--Manuals--(I think this is all correct.)

I am having a big problem with all the gloss, I guess mostly because I use it outdoors a lot. I do not remember but if it came in Matte, I should have definitely gotten that since this is 99% for the University job. The display needs some tweaking. It seems to be too cinematography-ish and I forget I am using a notebook sometimes until I open a browser, for example, and the vast differences really stuns me.

I am finding out I need more ram (or will real soon). I should have gone with my instinct and purchased it with 6GB ram but the cost is so high/ Is that because of the new speed and "3". I cannot believe with what it came with, I a already showing signs using the platform the school uses for this program. Long story so I won't waste your time, but since I think it is not the best to not mi and match brands, I will try to get as close to what is in there now. I d not want to waste too much and you know how; "oh save it on the desktop you will need it. Maybe I will but I doubt it because I know this "situation" and what I am up against fairly well. There is a Massive IT support for the faculty, so I will have to see what they can do with ram.

Anyway, thanks again. Any more comments/suggestions, etc. would b appreciated.

I will leave you with one question. I was trying to install my canon MX700 multi-printer and saw that canon has a "firmware" update. It gives very little info on it other than it is for Mac Os 10.5 and above and has helped with some...and it went through all the things it is suppose to help with. It does tell you how to uninstall all the programs I had installed the traditional way by the CD that came with the unit. I see that this firmware is suppose to install all the necessary drivers and the other programs but with some security patches thrown in. any advice or info on firmware? I know zero about it other than I heard the term and wondered what it is or does or whateverthat I would normally install by the traditional way. Can somebody explain to me what firmware is? I will really end with this.

I am not into the syncing yet. I have MobileMe and not sure if I will ever get that good at this computer. it really is like the computer world and than the Apple world. I am so glad they stuck with it and made their nitch and it seems to be now firmly in place. I had been using gmail, any ideas on how to set the mail....OK I know I asked this. Good Night!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.