+RW DVD question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Hi all, this might seem a silly question, but I recently bought some TDK +RW DVDs to archive documents. The intention was simply to copy and replace the info put on the disk the first time with the updated folder. Here I had hoped my Mac would simply ask me if I wish to replace the existing docs with the new ones. However, the DVD onto which I have put the info is telling me that there is zero space available. (I have used up 3gb of a 4.7gb DVD). This suggests to me that the disc has behaved like a conventional R disc rather than a +RW rewrite-able one, and can only be used once rather than hundreds of times, as I had understood they should be. Am I missing something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not missing anything. Sadly, OS X does not support multi-session writing to DVD media even if the media is RW. About the only thing you can do is completely erase the DVD RW and start over. Multi-session writing is supported for CD media, but is not near as elegant as it is from Windows.

OS X has some catching up to do when it comes to multi-session writing. If you have a Windows machine or dual booting with Windows, I recommend doing all your burning from Windows.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
re DVD +RW re-use

Many thanks, am very grateful that someone has the knowledge and the info!! that's really interesting, and I never knew. I don't have dual boot (although wish I did), so will have to start again, thankfully nothing lost. How odd that OS X does not support this function. OK plan B!
Kind regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.