moving a bootcamp partition to a pc?

Reaction score
I guess I just want to know if it is possible. I have a bootcamp partition of xp on my mbp and I recently got a desktop PC just to have. I wanted to copy the bootcamp partition onto my pc and was wondering if this is possible. I have Winclone and use that regularly to backup my windows xp partition on my MBP. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting question. But I don't believe it will work in the way you would like. By that I mean - the partition might copy OK using WinClone but since the hardware on your new PC is different, it would not enumerate properly and Windows will crash.

You'll need to install Windows fresh on your desktop PC. Also, you'll need a new legal copy as you can not (according to the EULA) use the same copy of Windows on your MBP and install on the PC.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.