incredibly weak AirPort signal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air
PowerBook G4 airport out

I have an aluminum G4 laptop, no longer gets airport. Tried replacing the airport card (easy kind, through the battery port) but it still does not pick up any airport signals. Any ideas? My daughter wants to take it overseas in ten days, and I would love to hvae it fixed by then.

Thanks!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air
I was having trouble getting my G4 to see my airport. I am writing on a MacBook Pro, very strong signal - the airport station is five feet away. But I am still getting only one bar on my PowerBook. Any ideas? I replaced the airport card, no change. I need to get this handled soon, before my daughter takes the thing overseas. Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check to make sure the antenna wires are securely attached and orientated correctly. Go to this website and look at a layout diagram of your Powerbook to compare.

Also make sure that you have also gone over all your airport settings and that of your wireless router. It may not be a hardware problem. If you have another machine that can go wireless, test it on the same network. Turn off security from the router as a test. Use an ethernet cable while you're testing and setting router wireless options.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please don't crosspost. See my reply to you in the other forum.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.