External HD

Reaction score
need to get a portable/external HD (500gb) to be used for both Mac and PC (ducks). what are my options? WD any good?

i just couldn't find(or read) one that would work for both platforms.

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From what I've seen, almost all external USB hard drives will work with both "WinTel" computers as well as Macs.

But the hard drive may may need to be specifically formatted for each computer type.

i.e. A Mac formatted hard drive may not work with a PC.

So while the same USB hard drive may be compatible with both platforms...it may not be compatible at the same time without reformatting.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks, Nick.

last (2) questions though (from a total newbie):

1. is it better to get a "Mac-formatted" HD?

2. do you have to reformat everytime you switch platforms?

thanks again

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out your question of whether it is better to get a Mac-formatted drive? I have the same question.
In regards to your original question, I have a Seagate FreeAgent that works between my mac and my PC - I partitioned it into two drives. One is FAT32 for the PC and the other one is for the MacBookPro. I can get the files from the FAT32 to the MBP, but not the other way, and I'm primarily dealing with pictures. But it uses a firewire and it's own power, so it's not very portable. I'm looking at the Passport Elite 500G (on sale at Costo for $99 with a coupon right now) but there is another one that is "Mac Formatted". I assume that these were the ones you were looking at also! My plan is to leave the Seagate as is, and use the portable as a redundant drive only. Anyway, would love to hear what you found out, or what you did.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. No

2. No

FAT32: can be read by and written to by both Windows and OS X. However, there is a file size limitation of 4GB which is typically not a problem unless you're going to be storing movies on the partition.

NTFS: Windows native file system can be read by OS X but not written to.

HFS+: OS X native file system cannot be read or written to from Windows. It also must be used for most backup software including Time Machine.

Paragon's NTFS for Mac OS X: allows OS X to write to NTFS volumes and also has the software which allows Windows access to your HFS volumes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.