PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop > Preview

darren r
08-09-2009, 02:29 PM
This seems such a stupid question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask it. For some time now, every time I've amended a picture in Photoshop, I can only get it to open up the next time in Photoshop, which means waiting for the programme to start up just to look at one photo.
I know there's a way of editing them so they just open in Preview because I've done it before but...um...I've forgotten how (I think it's something to do with the 'Save As' option but I can't figure it out).
Can anyone help me out?

CrimsonRequiem
08-09-2009, 06:12 PM
What is the file extension that you are saving it as?

You can always just drag the file onto the Preview icon on your doc to open it in preview. Either that or right click and Open with...whatever.

vansmith
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
What is the file extension that you are saving it as?I believe CR is thinking the same thing I am in that you are saving it as a PSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop#Features) file, thus forcing Photoshop to open the file. If you save it in a non-PSD format such as JPEG or PNG, Preview should open when you wish to view it. You may also be able to use Quick Look to view the files (highlight the file in Finder and press Spacebar) but I don't know if Quick Look has support for PSDs as I am not a Photoshop user.

darren r
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
No, I'm saving the pictures as JPEG's. I'll try dragging the file on to the Preview icon, see if that works. Thanks for the responses.

empty_noise
08-12-2009, 07:24 PM
So.. You edited a picture in Photoshop and then saved it as a JPEG and now it opens Photoshop whenever you open that JPEG picture right?

So why don't you just set Preview as the app that opens.

Select the file and press Command-I (Get Info), scroll down and change "Open with" to whatever app you want to start when you open that file.

You can even set so that app opens all files of that type.

darren r
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you empty noise! That worked a treat. Much appreciated.