Macbook Pro not working with linksys router

Reaction score
Ok, sorry if I keep this brief, I don't know how long I can last on a neighbors wireless signal. Ok, so I have a late '08 unibody macbook pro. Up until recently, the internet connection has been fine. It would occasionally disconnect itself, but then it would automatically reconnect. But recently, its been unusable. It would disconnect every 2 minutes, and I would have to reconnect it, and then it would just disconnect. But now its evolved into me not even being able to use the internet when airport connects to my linksys network. I will connect, and it will have all bars, and nothing works. My linksys model number is wrt54g v.3. I'm going to try to download a firmware update, but until then, any other solutions? Is there any possibility that this is due to a computer virus? I know that my mac is not immune to them, so i'm not going to rule out that as a possibility.

Also, another thing to note, we recently got a wireless printer connected to the same network. Although, I just unplugged it, and i am still not getting back onto the linksys network. Its frustrating because when I click it, it has all of the bars, but it just doesn't work. I've even tried connecting right next to the router, to no avail. So I think its definitely something with my mac and perhaps a compatibility issue. I've tried google searches, but its hard to go through a lot of websites with such a bad connection. Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to do is read the "Sticky" FAQ posted in this forum: Link

Use an ethernet cable to attach your MBP to the router before starting any trouble shooting. Once you've established a good connection via ethernet, you can follow the hints given in the Sticky FAQ. Your problem could be related to interference, security, or both.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ah, my bad. Sorry, I just wanted to get the post out there, because the connection I had was really inconsistent and I was afraid i would lose it before I could post.

But anyway, it turns out it was just a huge mess between my router and my modem, and I honestly still don't know exactly what was wrong with it. But I bought a new router, and called my service provider and they got it all working. So this thread can be closed now. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I was having network issues to. All I did was plug in the mbp into the mains. I have never noticed this problem before when not plugged into the mains.

Any ideas why this is that you need to be plugged in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2011); iPad; Black MacBook; iPhone 3GS; AirPort Extreme
I was having network issues to. All I did was plug in the mbp into the mains. I have never noticed this problem before when not plugged into the mains.

Any ideas why this is that you need to be plugged in?

I think it may be due to the 10.5.8 update - did you run that update this week? Most peeps (me included) are experiencing what you are, and for most it began with the 10.5.8 update. I've contacted Apple......no response yet....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.