osx 10.4.8 update messing with my router?

Reaction score
Okay, folks far better at this stuff than a lowly writer...

Restarted my Mac today (after ages)...and it automatically updated 0S X ... and promptly booted me off of my Linksys router. (I set this up years ago with absolutely no trouble).

After hours of frustration, I started digging into the error messages...machine is claiming that Airport and Wireless are communicating...yet Airport is "using" a self identified IP address.

Upon visiting the Apple site...here's the news I got:

-----------------

After installing the Mac OS X 10.4.8 update, Macintosh computers may not be able to obtain IP addresses from some third party wireless routers.

In this event, the Mac is generally able to associate with the wireless network, but it will obtain a self-assigned IP address (169.254.x.x) and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Products Affected
Mac OS X 10.4.8, Linksys

Resolution
Turn the wireless router off and back on.
Note: This step will disconnect any clients currently connected to the wireless network provided by this router.
If restarting the router does not resolve the issue, contact the manufacturer of the third-party wireless router to resolve this issue.

----------------------
The linksys site has lots of info, none specific to my quandary. Anyone else run into this issue? I know my router is old and all...(model bef11s4 v.4)...but it serves it's purpose. My wife (PC) is connected seamlessly, so I'm pretty certain the self assigned IP is the issue...

Any help?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.4.8 or the just released 10.5.8?

Two different OS's.

10.4 is Tiger and .8 is an update. That is ages ago.

10.5 is Leopard and the .8 update just came out for it around 2 days ago.

I just checked and I have 4 Linksys routers here (3 as Access Pointe) and all are fine with 10.5.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.4 GHz, OSX 10.5.8 / iMac 2.93 GHz, OSX 10.5.7
I'm having the exact same problem, after installing the 10.5.8 upgrade. I haven't seen the notice on the Apple site, but they surely can't expect me to go to my router, everytime I've had my Macbook closed?

I'm not gonna update my iMac until they resolve this...

My router is a Zyxel P-660HW-D1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.