Microsoft Works 3

Reaction score
I have PowerBook OS 8.9 with files that I would like to transfer to a new Mac Book. Can it be done & what software can I use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forumns.

I think possibly you are a little confused as Mac OS 8.6 was the latest OS 8 version released. See this link:-

Mac OS 8 and 9 compatibility with Macintosh computers

Hackintosh did release something called OS 8.9 but that is a no-go here. A new MB will not be compatible with OS 8.6 files as a rule, as Leopard is not Classic compatible.

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are referring to Works 3 for Macintosh and not Windows. Works 3 can export to a bunch of different file formats but be warned that the versions of Word and Excel it export to are old. I know Word 98 will read a Word 4 file (I believe Works 3 can export to Word 4) but I'm not sure what the current versions can do in terms of reading these old files. RTF is always an option unless you have a lot of formatting in the document.

If you have Office 98 on your old Mac you can try saving the files in modern formats (Word 97-2003, Excel 97-2003) and moving them to the other Mac.

I don't believe there are any current products that will read a Works 3 file natively so you'll have to do some translation along the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.