Switching to iPhone

Reaction score
Ok so I was a first gen iPhone user but after my iPhone died :( I got a BLACKBERRY BOLD :Grimmace: I have hated this thing so far and it is just filled with too many bugs. I asked when I could upgrade my phone and it was 2011 xP. So if I bought a iPhone (3GS) could I insert my sim into the 3GS and activate it or will it not work? Would I need a new contract? Is there anyway to avoid this by activating it not by iTunes. To sum it up I want to switch but I don't want to be tacked by another 2 years of contract. BTW I have had my BB for 3 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If you purchase it from a third-party (person from craigslist or ebay for example) then you should not have to extend your contract because you did not buy it for a discounted price. You should be able to insert your SIM card and activate via iTunes and selecting the iPhone data package. Don't forget to cancel any BB Data plans before though so you do not get charged for two data packages.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tired dealing with a 3rd person dealer. They asked for too much that I would rather get the phone from an AT&T store pay for the phone AND pay for the cancellation fee for my BB. Is there another way if I buy a phone from an apple store and and say I got it as a gift from someone else lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The only way to get the phone without a contract extension is to pay full retail price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Ok so I was a first gen iPhone user but after my iPhone died :( I got a BLACKBERRY BOLD :Grimmace: I have hated this thing so far and it is just filled with too many bugs. I asked when I could upgrade my phone and it was 2011 xP. So if I bought a iPhone (3GS) could I insert my sim into the 3GS and activate it or will it not work? Would I need a new contract? Is there anyway to avoid this by activating it not by iTunes. To sum it up I want to switch but I don't want to be tacked by another 2 years of contract. BTW I have had my BB for 3 months.

What country are you in?

From a Canadian perspective, I would sell the Blackberry Bold on ebay and/or craigslist. They usually go for about $500-$600. If you want to have an edge, contact www.gsmphonesource.com and unlock it for $20, then you can sell your phone at about a $100 premium over what most other locked phones are going for.

Then (assuming you unlocked it) you would have about $600-700 for the Bold, putting you in the price range of buying an iPhone 3GS contract-free.

My friend did this a couple weeks ago. Although he sold his Bold with some accessories to make it to the $600 mark. His phone was unlocked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.