MBP 13 inch: will the keys wear off?

Reaction score
I just want to confirm what I read somewhere. Is it true they've painted the keys from underneath so I don't have to worry about the keys wearing off? And hypothetically, if they did, is it covered under apple care?

Thanks in advance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Kinda the crux of my question: are they painted differently so they won't wear off?

Reaction score
I dont think there's any fear of the paint "wearing off." The fear is that the cheap plastic they use doesn't hold up to normal wear and tear very well. My MBP 17" unibody, which has the same type of keyboard, started showing a shiny spot on the right side of the spacebar after the very first day I had it out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm pretty sure they won't wear off: The letters are slightly translucent to allow the keyboard backlighting to shine through, so I'm going to assume they aren't just painted on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
I dont think there's any fear of the paint "wearing off." The fear is that the cheap plastic they use doesn't hold up to normal wear and tear very well. My MBP 17" unibody, which has the same type of keyboard, started showing a shiny spot on the right side of the spacebar after the very first day I had it out of the box.

The same thing happened to me with my 13 inches aluminum macbook. However, the letters haven't worn off at all but still shiny spots on the keyboard have appeared.

OP
M
Reaction score
You can get a palm rest protector which I am buying. Skin oil is very powerful.

But still, does ANYONE have an official Apple-type response to whether the keys will wear off and if it's covered by Apple Care? My Dell literally had this problem once a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Since they're not painted on.. they're translucent, they won't wear off. Mine are polished heavily in the usual pattern.. but the letters still clearly visible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.