Two Windows Operating Systms

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In my macbook, I was using Server 2003, installed through Bootcamp. For some reason I urgently needed to install Windows XP on another partition i.e, I needed two operating systems natively without being used VMware.

Could you please post how could I succeed this through Bootcamp or any other third party software?

I really appreciate for your fast response.

Reg,
Sri.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp is not designed to create two partitions and install two operating systems. If you already have Win Server 2003 installed and it's running OK, what you can do is create another partition by using Disk Utility.

The new partition will have to come from the space that you already have assigned to OS X and not the Server 2003 partition. After creating the new partition you can use "rEFIt" as a boot manager and install XP.

Download rEFIt from here. It's free. Be sure to read all instructions and make a backup of everything before you proceed.

Regards.

Reaction score
i've been trying to do this also. i found a thread in macrumors where someone succesfully did it. i haven't tried it though. i will post his procedure if u want to try it.

Hi.. I just wanted to update my thread for anyone who wants to have 2 Microsoft OS with Mac OS X.

I used Bootcamp 2.1 (DVD) that came with my MBP.

Below are the steps I took to get Mac OS X, Windows XP (32 Bit) & Windows Vista (32 Bit) working.

1-I popped the installation DVD and in initial process used the Disk Utility to create 3 partitions. 1 Journaled (MAX OS), 1 MS DOS (Vista), 1 MS DOS (XP) (Name partition appropriately)
2-Finish installation of MAC OS X
3-Installed rEFIT (REBOOT TWICE)
4-Insert XP CD - REBOOT HOLDING "C"
5-Finish INSTALLATION>will REBOOT- Be sure to correctly pick the XP partition, should be the last.
6-Use REGEDIT and do the following:
A. Click Start – Run – Type “regedit” and press enter.

B. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

C. In the right pane, Right-click and select New – String value

D. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\
7-INSERT MAC OS X DVD and run setup.exe
**XP Install Complete**

VISTA INSTALLATION
1-INSERT VISTA DVD, REBOOT and hold "C"
2-In vista interface pick the correct partition for the vista installation. You will need to format the drive before proceeding with installation
3-It will require reboot make sure you pick the correct partition (should be the middle)
4-INSERT MAC OS X DVD and run setup.exe
( I did not check the box for Apple Updates as I use rEFit anyway)
**Vista Install Complete**

CHEERS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
That sounds cool, I'd like to try that, but I don't have enough space on my hard drive to make even one good-sized partition and still have enough free space on my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.