Another external monitor for MacBook question

Reaction score
Am looking for an external monitor for my MacBook 13" 2G, 2ghz - mostly for graphics and web work. Though I know that a higher price model would be best, my wallet does not allow - so checking out the 17"-24" low/lower priced ones.
A visit to local MicroCenter really helped separate especially what I can tolerate looking at for periods of time/what screen appearances seem "normal" or "desirable" to me while "conversing with" the computer in a creative process.
Found 2 brands (Samsung and Viewsonic) that have choices that seemed to fit for me, and a few with reportedly higher maximum resolution than most of the rest - one at 2048x1152. The salespeople seemed to be questioning whether my Mac, and its graphics card could support the monitor.
I don't know either, and in fact don't know what to look for in System Profiler, or "otherwhere," to determine that what I am selecting will work well with my MacBook and it's graphic and display capabilities. (Does it help to say that when I look at 'Graphics / Display" in the profiler it says "Intel GMA 950" ?)

I also don't know what other key factors I should be watching for/deciding about, in the monitor itself. (Found I prefer tiltability, built in speakers...etc.)
Any advice in this arena would also be helpful.

Thank you folks for being here and being willing. You really helped me sort out a previous dilemma last year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine will support a maximum external monitor resolution of 1920 x 1200. Look for something in that native resolution range or lower. Anything higher will not function correctly. Your graphics chipset (Intel GMA 950) is built in to your system board and uses memory from system RAM.

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 220wm 22" model with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 and it works very well with my MacBook.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.