Files, Folders and such

Reaction score
I like to put things in “folders” - named to give me a good clue as to what the folder contains. Under DOS for example I had a WORD folder. Within that folder were various other folders. Each folder contained related files.

With the Mac, I attempt to save a word document, but it seems to want the file saved under “documents”. I know I am missing something with all the neat organization of OS X.

Actually I need something like a five step hierarchy, which under DOS looked like this:

C:/ Program files
Word
Word - Work
(various work files)
Word - Home
Word - Bob
Word - Mary
Word - Misc

I know I can create folders under documents - then drag the files to the folders, but again I have to think OS X is better than that.

As a switcher - I would even like to create word files for Word and save them somewhere other than files created with Pages.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can save files wherever you like. I think you may be missing the arrow next to where you input the file name. If you click that, you should be able to select which folder you would like to save your documents in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't know if you saw the video I made for you on YouTube, rboseley, but I explained that the full hierarchy of folders will appear if you click on the blue square with the black arrow in it next to the name field in the Save dialog.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.