PDA

View Full Version : Which IM client do you use?

schweb
03-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Most people today use IM and most use multiple clients. Which client is the main one you use?

Kokopelli
03-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I mostly use Adium, sometimes iChat. I would like to use Proteus but SameTime is broken on it and I need that for my work.

schweb
03-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Sametime is fixed in the latest beta. You can get it in the forums:

http://defaultware.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7162

trpnmonkey41
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I use adium and bring up iChat when I need to use my iSight

Kokopelli
03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Sametime is fixed in the latest beta. You can get it in the forums:

http://defaultware.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7162

Cool I'll give it a try Monday.

iWhat
03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm currently using iChat and Adium, but I use to use Proteus. Now, after trying out Adium, I think that I still like Proteus better. I like the look and the sound effects. Sound effects? Yep, oddly enough, I like it for its sound effects.

Macman
03-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I use ichat a tiny bit more than adium, cause I do lots of file transfers, if adium could do xfers, Id stick with just adium.

schweb
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah I mainly use Proteus and when I want to vid chat I pull up iChat. I rarely every file transfer so that's not an issue for me.

meltbanana314
03-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Adium, which I use ICQ and Jabber through.

witeshark
03-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I had aim on the pc, so I use iChat and I'm extremely happy with it

CaptainMack
03-20-2005, 01:51 AM
ichat and msn. some irc also.

dtravis7
03-20-2005, 04:08 AM
If I am just going to chat with AIM buddies, I prefer IChat. Some of my close friends and I send pictures since we live in different states. Ichat handles that better than anything else I have used.

If I have to also use Yahoo and ICQ then I fire up Adium. I like Proteus also but Adium is free and works great as a multi chat client.

kiwimac
03-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Adium is the main one I use, one window with tabs for all my chats - can't beat it, but if I want to audio chat I use ichat or skype to chat to friends who have pc's

Sunshine_Mac
03-20-2005, 06:42 AM
I feel a bit stupid here, I've never heard of half of these lol. I've always used yahoo, I tried icq and msn but neither of them support a cam so I binned them lol. Just heard about skype last week too but my OS isn't right for that, ah well worse things could happen:))

flonejek
03-20-2005, 09:34 AM
mmm time for some linkage

adiumX: http://www.adiumx.com/
iChat: http://www.apple.com/ichat/
MSN: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=msnmessenger
Proteus: http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/
Yahoo: http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/mac.html
AIM: http://www.aim.com/get_aim/mac/latest_macosx.adp?aolp=

I'm using the 0.8 beta of adiumX by the way...

Meyvn
03-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I use Adium because I just can't see anything in Proteus that I like better, and it's free. Both of them have file transfer problems unfortunately, though, which is actually kinda important. A BIG thing in Adium I like, though, is the customizability of appearance. None of the other clients come even close. I've come to the point where I just don't think I could live without my small, transparent contact list. iChat is just so featureless, but if I need to do file transfers that's really the only option besides AIM 4.7, which is a bad port to begin with.

Macman
03-20-2005, 10:54 AM
I like adium, as I stated above, but sooo many people come to the forum, and don't post,
they email me, pm me, or try to chat with me, I encourage them to post, its crazy in adium, the other day, I was helping a regular member with her ibook via chat in adium, all at once, 20 chat tabs spawned, people asking for help cause they saw me on this forum.
these people were fast typers too. Holy chat tabs! it was insane, I had to one by one let each one know that I was busy helping someone and if they could catch me some other time. thats another bad part about adium. I may try another multi client app soon.

shaun89
03-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I use ichat a tiny bit more than adium, cause I do lots of file transfers, if adium could do xfers, Id stick with just adium.
adium can do transfers.. just drag the file into the conversation.

And i just use adium for msn. I never used iChat ever. nobody i know uses AOL and almost everyone is on MSN. But adium and msn for mac really suck alot compared to Msn 7.0 on windows. I might buy an LCD for my old PC just for MSN ;)

schweb
03-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I like adium, as I stated above, but sooo many people come to the forum, and don't post,
they email me, pm me, or try to chat with me, I encourage them to post, its crazy in adium, the other day, I was helping a regular member with her ibook via chat in adium, all at once, 20 chat tabs spawned, people asking for help cause they saw me on this forum.
these people were fast typers too. Holy chat tabs! it was insane, I had to one by one let each one know that I was busy helping someone and if they could catch me some other time. thats another bad part about adium. I may try another multi client app soon.

I'd suggest not helping them that way and instead refer them back to the forums. That way everyone can benefit from their question and the answer they receive. Doing it privately doesn't help anyone else.

Jefe3223
03-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Adium's nice, but I like ichat's ablitly to save automatically to a folder. This helps me reference things I need later...but Adium is definantly cool. Transparent things are the way to go.

Kokopelli
03-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Adium can keep a log of the chat... I think it is on by default.

Macman
03-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I'd suggest not helping them that way and instead refer them back to the forums. That way everyone can benefit from their question and the answer they receive. Doing it privately doesn't help anyone else.
I like your old avatar better.
back on topic
I try to, 99% of the time, I tell them to go to tyhe forum and post, unless its something extremely simple, like changing an icon, or adding an app to the dock.

Daniel 1989 UK
12-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Most people today use IM and most use multiple clients. Which client is the main one you use?
Adium.

technologist
12-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Peeuwww! This thread smells as if it's been dead for nine months!

If only these old threads automatically closed after a period of inactivity....

pocketaces
12-25-2005, 10:27 PM
I use msn only because for some reason ichat is only restricted to AOL clients if im not wrong. However I would like to start using some IM's that also allow voice to voice chat as my ibook has a built in mic and for some reason msn on mac does not have the voice option on it. Any way to get around this?

MacWill
07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
I use AIM for Mac and hate it.

Am hoping another Mac Client supports AIM that I can use :(

Macman
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I use AIM for Mac and hate it.

Am hoping another Mac Client supports AIM that I can use :(
you should try ichat or adium.

scooter
07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
everybody i know is on msn so that is what i currently use. i tried adium but had a few issues. :(

Macman
07-28-2006, 09:35 PM
everybody i know is on msn so that is what i currently use. i tried adium but had a few issues. :(
try amsn

dohidied
08-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Wow, I needed a client that did MSN so I downloaded Adium. I love this program! It blows iChat out of the water. :black:

macEfan
08-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I use ichat all the time. I really enjoy using it, but sometimes it has annoying bugs, in which sometimes the other person doesn't get all the messages that I send.

icemanjc
08-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I use aim, yahoo and msn. I use the official ones, because adium and ichat dont have everything the official ones have like animated icons.

rs2sensen
08-04-2006, 11:27 PM
iChat and Fire. I love the interface of iChat, and Fire I use when I have to talk through different services at once. It seems to do it's job pretty well.

I have had a big problem with the official AIM client on my mac. It crashes often. Or it used to, at least. I haven't used it in over a year.

I do occasionally use the Yahoo client, which doesn't seem to be too bad. Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with the FlashChat software I use on my website, and yahoo messenger. If I have FlashChat open, messenger will either crash, or work at a snails pace. The developer is looking into it.

rs2sensen
08-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I use aim, yahoo and msn. I use the official ones, because adium and ichat dont have everything the official ones have like animated icons.

try using an add-on for iChat called "Chax" it adds some great features, such as showing animated icons, adding an easy log-viewer, and allowing tabbed chats.

http://www.ksuther.com/chax/

MacWill
08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I tried IChat but didnt like the simplicity of it.

I like how AIM breaks my buddies up and i liked AIM's IM setup better

Then again, it does crash often thus I am still looking for a more AIM type program without the actual AIM makers.

Macman
08-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I thought I saw a post by macwill, that's the first time I have ever heard someone dislike something because of its simplicity and ease of use lol, anyway, you can set up groups in ichat to break up your buddies.

slashjunior
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
I use Adium all the time on my Mac. I mainly use Trillian and Windows Live Messenger on the PC.