What to buy?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I got approximately 2k coming in next month and there are a few things that I absolutely need for my trade. One being a decent DSLR and a medium format printer. I should have these things by now since I'm getting pretty close to finishing school. I've noticed that I have been doing a lot of packaging design as of late and it's kind of hard not having a decent printer and camera.

I also want a MBP but I guess that can wait? I really do want a new one though. T_T" My studio is basically card board boxes and crates. I'm embarrassed to have people come over. >_>" Mainly because all my money goes into stuff like this. I probably have 10k worth of hardware in my studio. My friends always joke about if they were a burglar they would hit my studio first. >_<"

Sorry about the side track, but I'm kind of choosing between these two. If you can recommend something similar/better for less I'm open to suggestions. If it helps any...I don't have a DSLR and this is going to be my first one so I want it to last me for awhile.

1. Canon G10
2. Olympus E-P1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Neither one of those cameras are DLSRs. But if those are the two cameras you are looking at, I'd go for the Canon. I've had two so far, and love them. They are great cameras, and you'll be able to get some stunning photos out of it.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Neither one of those cameras are DLSRs. But if those are the two cameras you are looking at, I'd go for the Canon. I've had two so far, and love them. They are great cameras, and you'll be able to get some stunning photos out of it.

LOL thx, that just shows you how much I know about cameras. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Can't go wrong with a Canon!
Here's more info on the different SLRs they make.

My wife bought the EOS Rebel xti last yr. Awesome camera, but there are even better ones (more megapixels and features).

Don't have a suggestion for printer. I have a canon mp620 but it's mainly for normal print use and occasional photo printing. Nothing too major, though.

Link in case you want to research canon's printers too.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't go wrong with a Canon!
Here's more info on the different SLRs they make.

My wife bought the EOS Rebel xti last yr. Awesome camera, but there are even better ones (more megapixels and features).

Don't have a suggestion for printer. I have a canon mp620 but it's mainly for normal print use and occasional photo printing. Nothing too major, though.

Link in case you want to research canon's printers too.

Thanks so much for that. It really helps.

Since you guys seem to know a lot more about cameras I want to ask if a DSLR is right for what I'm doing?

I'm mainly just doing close ups of packages and artwork, do I really need a DSLR? I kind of don't understand the pricing on DSLRs and some of the Point and Shoot Cameras. IE. Like why some digital cameras cost more than a DSLR?

I still haven't really made up my mind. If I did go the DSLR route then I probably go with one of the Rebels, learning more towards the XSi/T1i.

For the printer I kind of settled on getting an Epson because that's pretty much what I've used for almost 10 years, and I need something that can print on a roll.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A DSLR is probably going to be for someone who wants really good professional-grade photos. My wife is really into photography so that's why we got ours. I don't even notice the difference between our 10mp DSLR and our 5 year old 5mp sony cybershot.
You might just want to keep it simple and go with a regular digital camera. Don't spend more than $150-$200 on one if you do go that route. For instance I've had my eye on this one to replace our 5 yr old one. It's $179.00 at Best Buy.
I recommend Sony or Canon if you want a regular old digital camera. Canon costs a lot more and Sony is just fine.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A DSLR is probably going to be for someone who wants really good professional-grade photos. My wife is really into photography so that's why we got ours. I don't even notice the difference between our 10mp DSLR and our 5 year old 5mp sony cybershot.
You might just want to keep it simple and go with a regular digital camera. Don't spend more than $150-$200 on one if you do go that route. For instance I've had my eye on this one to replace our 5 yr old one. It's $179.00 at Best Buy.
I recommend Sony or Canon if you want a regular old digital camera. Canon costs a lot more and Sony is just fine.

Well as a designer we kind of do need professional grade photos especially of a product that we made that is going to go into our portfolio.

Currently I have a Sony Cybershot 7.2.

Maybe I just don't know how to use it the right way? >_>" I pretty much set it to auto and shoot probably 300-500 shots and choose the best ones from that. Sometimes it works out great and sometimes I get nothing.

Nikon has better optics. Look at a used NikonD2X.

Thanks SK, I'll definately look into this as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd stay away from Sony just because they use their stupid proprietary memory cards. Get something that uses standard SD or CF cards.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd stay away from Sony just because they use their stupid proprietary memory cards. Get something that uses standard SD or CF cards.

Oh I know all about that. I have 6 pro duo memory stick, and only 1 regular SD card. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI: a new Sony pro duo memory stick has a 4gb removable sd card now. So the long memory stick is just an "adapter" for the camera now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.