starting applications after first time

Reaction score
Here's something I noticed about macs that differs from PCs.

After doing a fresh boot, I start an application and the little icon on the bottom tray bounces. When I close the application, and then start it again, it doesn't bounce. Trivial, right?

Yes, it's trivial, but what it signifies is something I'm grappling with - at least when it comes to one application in particular: audacity. When I first start audacity, the icon does its little bouncy thing, and the application starts. After closing it, however, and attempting to restart, it doesn't bounce nor does it come up on the screen.

Now, I have a hunch that it's not actually failing to start, it's just not showing on the screen. In fact, I don't even think I've really closed the application the first time - I just made it invisible - and that's probably what the non-bouncing means (it's already started, and we're just making it visible).

I say this because I've noticed something similar with iTunes. When I have iTunes open, and I have something playing, and then I close it (click the red x in the top left corner), it disappears from the screen, but the music keeps playing. So I'm guessing that clicking the little red x doesn't actually shut down the application - it just hides it somewhere.

If I'm right, then something similar should be happening to Audacity. However, unlike iTune - and this is where I'm struggling - it doesn't re-appear when I click on its icon. This is what I need to figure out. How do I bring Audacity up after I've closed it (or made it invisible) the first time (other than rebooting my computer)?

Whether it's iTunes, Audacity, or any other application, click the red x doesn't miniturize it to the lower right corner of the application tray (where active applications sit), so I can't access it from there. There must be some other means by which to access it. Is there a list of currently running programs that I can access from the OS somewhere? Is there some special way of clicking on the Audacity icon to force it to come up? Am I completely wrong about my analysis of what's going on?

Please help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Am I completely wrong about my analysis of what's going on?
Yes.

Clicking the red radio button will close that window.
Choosing "Quit" or hitting Command+Q will quit an application.

I suspect that you weren't quitting any applications, which would account for no "bounce" when you click the Dock icon again.
All you were doing was closing a window, then opening a new window by doing clicking the Dock icons.

Some apps can only ever have one window open at a time.
These apps will sometimes quit when you close a window using the red radio button.

Audacity can have several windows open, each one representing a different task.
Clicking on the Dock icon won't specify which window you want to reopen.
You will have to choose it from the menu bar.

I would strongly suggest reading up on things in the
"Switcher's FAQ" sticky thread.
You would also benefit from checking out these sites:

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Apple - Support - Switch 101

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you've closed an Audacity window without quitting the app, you'll have to choose either New or Open from the File menu.

You can see which apps are open by pressing Command-Tab. Open applications from your Dock will have a little white dot beneath their icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.