LaCie Sacré bleu!

Reaction score
LaCie drive problem...

Hi

The burning issue that has landed on the nearest computer couch for a good cry (and my first posting)...LaCie drives.

I'm now convinced that they are all form over function. A lovely shiny purring box of magic, blue light blinking with reassuring cold precession and inside, a village idiot sits open mouthed, on a rickety three legged stool watching a moth flitter around a blue 40w light bulb which he intermittently turns on and off.

Every LaCie drive I've had has broken with in a year. I've been a devout follower of there hard drives, refusing to admit that they may not be that good. Repeatedly I've been swayed by there design (like a moth to a 40w light bulb) But no more.

With out going into my love hate...hate, loathe, beg, curse, thank, despise, drop, kick, bin relationship with LaCie the problem I've got is:

I had a Lacie D2 320GB drive (FW800/400 USB2) with all my work on connected to a Powerbook G4 1.5MGHz laptop running OS 10.4.

Something happened on the laptop that meant It wouldn't boot up. It Just went to grey screen with wiring wheel then rebooted by it's self after 20 sec in a constant cycle.

I reloaded the system software. 10.2 first then up dates to 10.4 and 10.4.4. and my Lacie drive would not longer mount. I have had the drive for a year or so and have had no trouble until now. It was about two thirds full.
I've tried the drive in an G4 Imac which I know is fine and it wouldn't mount on that either.
I bought a 320GB USB 2 pocket drive to rescue data too but that didn't mount on the Powerbook either! My pen drives do mount though!?

I used a new copy of DiskWarrior 4.4 to try and sort the problem and it can see all the data on the LaCie drive. It successfully optimized the disks directory but after a reboot it the drive still doesn't show on the desktop. The drive also shows up on DiskUtility and the System profiler.

Is there anyone out there that has had similar problems or even better, thinks they may have the solution?

Ben

Reaction score
Good for you to realize a flashy box is not always the best. Sounds like the firmware on the drive is messed up or its crashed, or the interface in the back has gone bad. Do not buy any more of them. Get you a drive and put it in the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.