My battery just got dismal

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything similar to my situation. I have a black MB, about 23 months old. Up until today I've been able to get 4 to 5 hours per charge on my battery. It's got 566 cycles on it, btw. Well, this morning I got on my machine (fully charged), and my battery life was going downhill fast. It said I had 1 hr, 40 minutes to empty on a full charge. Just yesterday I got 4+ hours on the same battery with a full charge.

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a drastic change in battery quality? I'm thinking 2 or 3 of the cells stopped working, but I don't really know how to find that out. I've already looked at my power through System Profiler, and I downloaded the coconutBattery app as well. Neither are giving me any kind of answers. the SP tells me my battery health is "Good".

Any ideas? I know Apple generally will replace the battery if it's less than 2 years old with less than 300 cycles so I know they won't do anything but point me in the direction of the batteries on the shelf. Help!

OP
Calijoefornia
Reaction score
My battery just got dismal...help?

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything similar to my situation. I have a black MB, about 23 months old. Up until today I've been able to get 4 to 5 hours per charge on my battery. It's got 566 cycles on it, btw. Well, this morning I got on my machine (fully charged), and my battery life was going downhill fast. It said I had 1 hr, 40 minutes to empty on a full charge. Just yesterday I got 4+ hours on the same battery with a full charge.

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a drastic change in battery quality? I'm thinking 2 or 3 of the cells stopped working, but I don't really know how to find that out. I've already looked at my power through System Profiler, and I downloaded the coconutBattery app as well. Neither are giving me any kind of answers. the SP tells me my battery health is "Good".

Any ideas? I know Apple generally will replace the battery if it's less than 2 years old with less than 300 cycles so I know they won't do anything but point me in the direction of the batteries on the shelf. Help!

OP
Calijoefornia
Reaction score
Sorry everyone for the double post. My browsers crazy sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.