• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

License for computer service/sales?

Reaction score
I'm trying make money offering onsite computer repair services to my local community, as well as selling used computers that I don't use anymore or are donated to me. I was recently informed that I need some kind of BEAR (Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair) license as well as a reseller's license. Does anyone have advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'd hop onto your local municipal website and if your location is correct, get on the California government website and do some searching....maybe even fire off an email or two to the correct authorities, they can help you in a big way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I do this in my community as well and it has really been a very rewarding experience. I started by simply advertising in a local newsletter, and also posting flyers in local stores, post offices, etc. The response has been positive, and while it is not enough to quit my day job, it has been a nice addition to my income. I don't have any kind of certification or license, only my own experience. All of my advertisements state only that I have years of experience in repairing Mac and Windows computers, which is true. I don't think you need to have any certification. As long as you can provide the service and people are willing to trust you, it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to be fair and keep up to date with competitors wages, such as Geek Squad. I have built my business around being able to beat ANY quote given by Geek Squad, and so far 100% of the time I have been hundreds less than them. Be competitive, friendly, and honest, and you will do well.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
I do this in my community as well and it has really been a very rewarding experience. I started by simply advertising in a local newsletter, and also posting flyers in local stores, post offices, etc. The response has been positive, and while it is not enough to quit my day job, it has been a nice addition to my income. I don't have any kind of certification or license, only my own experience. All of my advertisements state only that I have years of experience in repairing Mac and Windows computers, which is true. I don't think you need to have any certification. As long as you can provide the service and people are willing to trust you, it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to be fair and keep up to date with competitors wages, such as Geek Squad. I have built my business around being able to beat ANY quote given by Geek Squad, and so far 100% of the time I have been hundreds less than them. Be competitive, friendly, and honest, and you will do well.
I've been doing freelance computer work for the past 3 years, and at this point I'm mostly trying to advertise myself more, on the local community list-serv and whatnot. Where I live, there are only three computer repair shops (one of them is Mac only). I know most people (around here anyway) don't really care about certification or licenses, but the Mac guy doesn't like competition and he was the one that told me these licenses were required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
If it is only you I don't see a problem with the lack of computer related licenses but I would check into the business side of the table which I am unsure of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, I think if you are freelance it shouldn't be a problem. I live in a very rural area, and the closest town big enough to have a computer repair place is more then an hour and a half away, so I have no competition at all. It sounds like that guy is trying to scare you away from becoming his competition. If you have been doing it for three years already and never had a problem, I don't think you should have any issues. If anyone asks just tell them you have years of personal experience. This is usually enough for most people.

Reaction score
If you live in CA theres probably lots of red tape like recycle permits Etc the sky the limit and fees and taxes will suck you dry. The basic here in Atlanta is a business license if you work out of your home. State sales tax number then that leads to a Federal ID tax number.If your an LLC you have to register with the State...it never ends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac 2gig ram 10.5.7 intel core duo
i just registered as an LLC to strictly do computer repair and web design. personally, its a little safer for me to operate this way because if we screw something up, the business is at fault and not you (me) the person supplying the services. be careful and make sure you either have things in writting, or don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.