My external HDD

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just received my 1tb hard drive today but im having few problems.

I want to install it in Mac OS Extended so I can copy files bigger than four Gigs but it wont let me install, says there is an error but in FAT32 it formats perfectly.

Can someone help me out please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you tell us exactly how you're trying to reformat the drive? Are you using Disk Utility? And what kind of an error is it giving you?

Regards.

Reaction score
The partition layout is probably set to Intel, you want to change this to Apple in Disk Utility.

OP
R
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for the reply although i managed to get it working.

through disc utility i went to partition, then choose "1 partion" and in the options selected GUID partition table which then allowed me to partition for MAC.

One thing though I wanted to ask:
my hard drive has an input for usb and power but no power switch, so basically im wanting to know if it self powers down when idling etc, or if i need to pull the power cord when im finished with it, thanks guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
USB power is only present when your machine is turned on. So when you turn off the machine or put it to sleep, the external hard drive will spin down.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.