archive install windows

Reaction score
Hey I was debating with my friends today about the pros and cons between MS os and MAC OS, so as we all know there is this archive install for mac that can leave all the data and software on top whereas upgrading the OS. But she says windows do the same thing too. If you upgrade from XP to vista, vista gives you that option too. I never installed vista before(never used it actually), so is it true? I thought it's impossible since windows uses registry.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure it can. But the rot that existed in the registry and whatever cruft has accumulated within your system root will remain. It's almost always best to do a clean install of Windows.

OS X does it a little better. Basically the entire OS is packaged into a single backup directory and then the OS is installed cleanly. User directories and apps are saved, but the OS gets a clean install. Very simple and elegant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.