• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I was just electrocuted by my guitar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
While practicing, I get a huge shock in my arm. Now, I keep twitching. Could there be something wrong with it? I'm afraid to touch it!!

And now I'm feeling out of breath. Should I be scared? I'm home alone for today....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would definitely get checked out by a medical professional if your gut tells you something is amiss. But barring that, you might want to take a look here:

Electric Shock

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa, I'm not feeling good at all, when I walk my legs felt like i shouldn't even be walking.. I was shocked three times, once by the pickup area and twice on the frets. I don't know how that could be happening on the fret...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa, I'm not feeling good at all, when I walk my legs felt like i shouldn't even be walking.. I was shocked three times, once by the pickup area and twice on the frets. I don't know how that could be happening on the fret...

Get checked out. Do it now. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you can't drive, check with a neighbor or call an ambulance.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to call my dad, he is at work which is just up the road. I don't think there's a need to call 911 yet. My mom and sister are in Massachusetts for a doctors appointment. I'm worried because, this isn't the first time I have been shocked by something plugged into that outlet, in fact, I've only been shocked by things plugged into that outlet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good call. Hope everything is OK.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just called him, and he thinks I should call the guitar store I bought it from. Luckily I have good neighbors and the hospital and guitar store is nearby, so if I need anything I can consult.

Thanks, I'll post back and I do hope I'l be fine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I doubt it's the guitar if it's the problem with the one outlet. An outlet tester may be a better way to see what's wrong. If it's wired wrong or not grounded, that could really mess up your day.

I got electrocuted when some one handed me a guitar and I already had one in my hand. The amp I was playing through wasn't ground and I got some juice until I could kick the guitar out of my hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
CALL 911 NOW! You could have suffered any number of things, from brain trauma to cardiac damage. For all you know, you may have a slowly worsening hemorrhage on the brain. DO IT NOW! Don't second-guess this... let a medical pro sort this out!

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I? It was only an Epiphone SG and a 15 watt amp. But I could feel it. When I walk I twitch, and my muscles are twitching every two minutes. When I touched my door knob into my bedroom, I didn't get shocked, but that's bronze. Don't know if that info helped. But if I do keep weakly walking, I will call 911.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I? It was only an Epiphone SG and a 15 watt amp. But I could feel it. When I walk I twitch, and my muscles are twitching every two minutes. When I touched my door knob into my bedroom, I didn't get shocked, but that's bronze. Don't know if that info helped. But if I do keep weakly walking, I will call 911.

I agree with lifeisabeach. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I'm especially concerned that you are experiencing lingering symptoms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I said DO NOT SECOND GUESS THIS! I work in health-care and have seen far more than you can ever imagine in my field. CALL 911! Unless you REALLY want to risk permanent damage or worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not sure that it warrants the cost of an ambulance ride. The guys ambulatory and capable of going into the the ER or Urgent Care, since he's online and posting.

That being said, you have a ground fault somewhere, if it's only in that particular outlet that you've experienced it have that checked out. It's not your guitar. That's an extremely simple circuit, and normally doesn't carry enough of a charge to worry about without outside forces acting upon it.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called, and aside from some "inverted P's", they said it was nothing worthy of hospitalization. Thanks for convincing me though, lifeisabeach. It was better I called instead of letting something severe happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm not sure that it warrants the cost of an ambulance ride. The guys ambulatory and capable of going into the the ER or Urgent Care, since he's online and posting.

Unrelated, but you guys really need to sort out universal health insurance. Basing that sort of decision on money is bananas. What if he decided to drive himself and suffered a seizure on the way? It's good to not panic, but a little bit of precaution isn't a bad idea. My ambulance ride, emergency treatment and minor surgery last year cost me €60. Obviously I also pay €600 a year in health insurance, but by and large I think that's pretty decent considering the quality of coverage that entitles me to.

On topic: You definitely did the right thing calling them. Feeling a bit off is quite normal and does take a while to go away. But if the symptoms continue, there's no harm in getting checked out.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had gone in the ambulance, it would have been free because of taxes.

Also aptmunich, I'm 13. Couldn't drive myself anywhere ;)

I'm feeling fine now. Thanks for the support everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unrelated, but you guys really need to sort out universal health insurance. Basing that sort of decision on money is bananas. What if he decided to drive himself and suffered a seizure on the way? It's good to not panic, but a little bit of precaution isn't a bad idea. My ambulance ride, emergency treatment and minor surgery last year cost me €60. Obviously I also pay €600 a year in health insurance, but by and large I think that's pretty decent considering the quality of coverage that entitles me to.

On topic: You definitely did the right thing calling them. Feeling a bit off is quite normal and does take a while to go away. But if the symptoms continue, there's no harm in getting checked out.
I guess I'm just hard headed... but if I've been posting for over an hour on a bulletin board I wouldn't be too worried. Then again, I just don't go to the hospital for most things. Never have, and never really will. I'm far too used to being far enough away from things that I simply have to deal with it. "Free" healthcare or not.

BTW, last ambulance bill I was handed was about $1500.. My friends air-ambulance ride off a mountain bike trail? Closer to 5.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
BTW, last ambulance bill I was handed was about $1500.. My friends air-ambulance ride off a mountain bike trail? Closer to 5.
Wow, that's ridiculous. I've had two ambulance rides - one $60 and the other free. The funny thing is that I was more bothered about the $60 charge, figuring this was covered by the government, than the reason I had to go to the hospital.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His extremities are twitching, and you want him to drive? That's utterly irresponsible. Besides, last I heard, public EMS service is paid for already by our taxes.
He's 13, and he called his dad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

His extremities are twitching, and you want him to drive? That's utterly irresponsible. Besides, last I heard, public EMS service is paid for already by our taxes.

Anywho, I'm glad it turned out OK. The only proper way to have been sure was to be checked out by a professional. It's impossible to get proper advice from people who are sitting at a computer elsewhere in the world who may not even be qualified to offer an opinion, no matter how well-intended they may be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.