• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Athalon64 and G5

D

dlisle20

I am getting an athalon64 3200, 256 vram, 512ram PC and i am also thinking of getting a G5 as well. What is faster the athalon pc or the dual 1.8Ghz Powermac? thanks

Dom

OP
E

EvoMac

For right now the G5 is hands down. Until M$ releases a official version of XP64 you will be running a 64 bit chip on a 32 bit OS so you won't see any performance difference. Whereas OSX is native to support 64bit processors.

Also where Windows OS takes memory from whereever it can apple uses each piece of hardware for their own purpose. IE: Windows takes memory from the video card to power other resources, where with Apple you have dedicated memory for each of its own processes which lead to improved performance. Being that I am in IT and have been for years, after just starting with the mac, I would honestly say get the apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.