Wireless Intellimouse Explorer Setup?

A

akp

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Mac Mini (I am trying to see if I could really switch away from the MS PC world and still be happy/productive), so I plugged in the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer I had handy.

As a two-button mouse with scroll-wheel it has worked fine. However, there are two more buttons on here that I have gotten used to using (especially the one I assigned to Back on my PC). I downloaded and installed the Intellipoint Software for OS X from Microsoft's website, but it doesn't let me assign anything to the extra two buttons.

In fact, it shows an a red-X through the mouse in the control panel and only shows 3 buttons that I can assign.

Can someone tell me how to get OS X to recognize this mouse correctly so that I can use all 5 buttons?

Please help me make the switch! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I've had the same problem with a USB Intellimouse Explorer and a Wireless Version. Both are fairly old and in System Profiler they are reported as a rather strange name like MS Intellimouse Explorer Æ or something similar. I suspect that this name during detection may have something to do with it. I also suspect that there are multiple versions of these mice and that only the latest versions of them function correctly.

OP
A

akp

mcsenerd said:
I've had the same problem with a USB Intellimouse Explorer and a Wireless Version. Both are fairly old and in System Profiler they are reported as a rather strange name like MS Intellimouse Explorer Æ or something similar...
Ugh, that is exactly what I am seeing: MS Intellimouse ExplorerÆ 1.0A. So, I guess, this mouse is just not fully Mac OS X compatible? So sad. :eek:neye:

Seems kind of strange, since it works fine under windows -- it must just be a driver difference. So why not support it in the Intellipoint driver? Too bad Mac OS X doesn't support it directly and has to rely on Microsoft supporting it. I would be happy to buy an Apple mouse, if they made them with more buttons on them -- 2 buttons is bad enough, I cannot imagine trying to get by with 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.