apple dvd drive burning too slow

Reaction score
hello there! first post, so forgive any mistake ;)
have a macBook Air with external apple dvd drive (actually the OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A) and i'm using with Toast Titanium Pro to burn some DVD's with DivX movie clips.

Problem: it is getting me around 7 / 8 hours to burn a single DVD (no special menus, or whatever...) !!!

Tried several things (disengage PAL encoding for NTSC files; changed for not so best quality, etc...)

any ideas on how to fix this ?

many thanks and keep up the good work!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, you are certainly going to be limited by the USB connection, but I would think 7-8 hours is abnormal.

What speed are you recording at? Do you have Toast set at the maximum burn speed? Is the entire time the actual burning process, or is it encoding during the majority of that time?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does it say Encoding for a long time before the burn starts? The burn itself should not take very long, but it's converting the movie to the DVD format that takes some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.