Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody, 2,4 GHz, 2 GB ram, 3G iPhone
Hey MacForums

I am running dry on ideas here, and have nowhere else to turn than here! Desperately hoping you can help me here!

Situation:
And no bad jokes here please... unfortunately I need Windows to run Autodesk Revit for work, so cannot do without it! :-( Therefor I am trying to install Windows 7 x64 on my Macbook Unibody 13,3" (bought march 2009), running MAC OS 10.5.7. I am installing x64 since I have plans on installing 4 GB ram in a short while, therefore x64 wanting to take use of all ram when running windows!

After having installed Windows 7... with no problems at all by the way... now trying to install the needed drivers for the Macbook, I get a dialog box saying: "Boot Camp x64 is not supported on this computer model"!? Whats up with that? From what I have found out online, there should be no problem using the x64 version on this brand new Macbook, with Intel Core 2 Duo processors!?

Anybody got a clue what I can do here??

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model!???

Hey MacForums

I am running dry on ideas here, and have nowhere else to turn than here! Desperately hoping you can help me here!

Situation:
And no bad jokes here please... unfortunately I need Windows to run Autodesk Revit for work, so cannot do without it! :Smirk: Therefor I am trying to install Windows 7 x64 on my Macbook Unibody 13,3" (bought march 2009), running MAC OS 10.5.7. I am installing x64 since I have plans on installing 4 GB ram in a short while, therefore x64 wanting to make use of all ram when running windows!

After having installed Windows 7... with no problems at all by the way... now trying to install the needed drivers for the Macbook, I get a dialog box saying: "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model"!? Whats up with that? From what I have found out online, there should be no problem using the x64 version on this brand new Macbook, with Intel Core 2 Duo processors!?

Anybody got a clue what I can do here?? :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
*** No Duplicate threads with the same post please ***

I doubt Windows 7 is supported under Bootcamp as it's not even on the market as yet. That could be causing your issues.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the doublepost... I have no ideas what happened!!??

Yeah I know it isn't on the market yet, but I have found several people out there running Windows 7 under Boot Camp with No problems at all!... So I guess I figured... So can I! ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a link on the page you gave me a link to... showing a workaround on the BootCamp build in problem with x64 Window systems!:

Windows 7 beta and Alum Macbook (bootcamp) - Mac Forums

Couldn't make it work :( Only got a error box saying something about an errorcode 2229 (Whatever that may be!??)

I then tried another suggestion from one of the comments to the page you linked to... saying:

If you install windows 7 x64 on any iMac and want to get the bootcamp drivers working, do this:
copy and paste the bootcamp folder onto your desktop from windows. download an MSI editor such as ORCA and open the bootcamp.msi. Then right click on the table that checks operating system and then save the file. after that you will be able to install all the bootcamp drivers onto any sort of mac you have and not be limited to x64 only on macbook pros and mac pros. <3

Couldn't make that work either... didn't make much sense with the right click and save thing... :eek:

Please help!!! :(

Reaction score
I got the same "not supported" error in Boot Camp on Win7 x64, but eventually it ran. I believe the Autorun will error out, but if you run the Boot Camp x64 installer manually it should run. I can't remember exactly what I did to get it going but it wasn't anything special.

The Boot Camp drivers for the most part pre-date Windows 7, so even after Boot Camp "installed" things it didn't actually install much. It does the keyboard media keys and the sorta-functional trackpad driver. Everything else was drivers I got from the makers of the individual components like nVidia and Realtek.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well an update...

... still haven't been able to get the complete installer going! :-( But after having tried the different installers on their own as suggested, I think I have gotten the pad working, desperately missing the multitouch scrolling though!!!... and got the audio working with the Realtek driver!... Don't know if I have gotten the bluetooth working this way, since I didn't check if the bluetooth was working before or not... well it is now! ;-)

But... My biggest problem... WHATS UP WITH THE BACKLIT KEYBOARD!? Anyone... at least help me get this working! I need it! ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
I have win7 64 bit running on my black macbook.....everything works.

Just install Win 7 then from the first mac os restore disk go into the bootcamp folder, look for the vista 64 bit install. run this program as administrator and vista compatibility...it will install everything then download the bootcamp vista 64 bit update from apple and run that.....worked on mine like a dream

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't want to run W7 as a main Win OS. The RC expires sometime next year so you would have to reinstall anyway. You may as well install Vista or if you can, XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
Why not run Win7....It's free for nearly a year which gives you plenty of time to see if you want to make a purchase......also it has all the nice stuff from Vista without the negatives. It seems to run really well on my macbook and also my windows desktop.....seems a no brainer to me.....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just install Win 7 then from the first mac os restore disk go into the bootcamp folder, look for the vista 64 bit install. run this program as administrator and vista compatibility...

@plodkiller
Would you mind guiding me here!?? Where exactly do I find this file (I have found a file saying something like x64 installer... is that it? (This one wont work for me for some reason though! Gives me the same errorcode as I have mentioned eralier... 2229)? How do I run this as administrator? And the Vista compatibility? Not rally sure about it all!... And I am Desperate to get this working! Would be greatly appreciated!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not run Win7....It's free for nearly a year which gives you plenty of time to see if you want to make a purchase......also it has all the nice stuff from Vista without the negatives. It seems to run really well on my macbook and also my windows desktop.....seems a no brainer to me.....
As of March 1, 2010, your machine will shutdown every two hours (source). So, in essence, you have about 8 months. Second, as an RC, there is no guarantee that the OS won't die all of a sudden. As an RC, it's likely to be solid (that's why it's a release candidate) but it isn't the final release. Thirdly, using drivers that were built for Vista could spell disaster - would you use Tiger drivers on Leopard if they "appeared" to work? Who's to know that the drivers don't make Vista specific OS calls that were removed from 7 in the effort to streamline Windows?

Things may appear fine for what you do but what if a program that you don't use make reference to Vista libraries that have been removed, moved or even renamed? For all we know, Autodesk Revit makes reference to libraries that you never encounter in your daily use. For something important to your job, go with software that is considered stable and supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
When you right click on a file, had to get a win mouse for that, one of the options is run as admin. also has this option in compatibility tab which is part of properties. select vista serv pack 2 as compatibility and it should work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
And also if my job depended on it I would not use Win 7 for my main OS.....The computers I use at work have just been upgraded to XP Pro.

Reaction score
@plodkiller
Would you mind guiding me here!?? Where exactly do I find this file (I have found a file saying something like x64 installer... is that it?
Thanks plodkiller, your post helped me out tremendously.

@arkoh, the file is on your Mac OSX install disk 1.
When you view that disk from My Computer in Win7, the path is:
BootCamp > Drivers > Apple > BootCamp64.exe

@ (This one wont work for me for some reason though! Gives me the same errorcode as I have mentioned eralier... 2229)?
How do I run this as administrator? And the Vista compatibility?
Right click on the BootCamp64.exe file. You will get a menu. Select "Troubleshoot Compatibility". That should set BootCamp64 to run in either Windows XP SP2 or Vista SP2. Then (if you have User Account Control On), a Yellow Shield will appear in the Win7 Task Bar. Click on that Shield and you'll get a window asking you to allow the program to run. This is giving "Administrator" access to the BootCamp64.exe program. Click on OK.

You will finally get a warning that this program may cause issues. Just click on the OK or Next buttons. Mine ran perfectly on a mid 2008 Mac Mini 1.86Ghz Dual Core model 2GB RAM with OS X 10.5.8.

Reaction score
How to fix x64 not supported

:)got to the drivers/apple file within the Bootcamp files, right click on bootcamp X64 executable and click on the pull down menu 'troubleshoot compatibility', this will then open the setup file and run as normal. You may have to have attempted to open the file before the troubleshoot option is made available. Hope this helps...

JLP

Reaction score
I have win7 64 bit running on my black macbook.....everything works.

Just install Win 7 then from the first mac os restore disk go into the bootcamp folder, look for the vista 64 bit install. run this program as administrator and vista compatibility...it will install everything then download the bootcamp vista 64 bit update from apple and run that.....worked on mine like a dream

This is the answer to the same problem i had... althouh running as administrator wasn't possible, changing the compatability was the key

Reaction score
if your macbook is old and ******, 64 bit wont work. the new macbook pros support 64 bit, and the white macbook might support the 64 bit but the 2009 macbook (the one right before macbook pro) is too old for 64 bit. if it was the mac book pro 15 inch 17 inch bought in 2009, it would work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.