This update requires MAC OS X 10.4.10 or higher / MAC OS X Tiger Only

Reaction score
Hello all. Im new to this forum so I'll start out by saying Hi. I'm also new to MACs so now that I found this forum, I'm sure I will learn a lot.

I have a MAC notebook which is currently running MAC OS X Version 10.5.6. Im going away on vacation (first time in a year yay) and am currently taking a very important online class. The online class is given through Hotcomm and I need to download Hotcomm CL. While visiting their website I noticed that pretty much all of their downloads are for Windows but at the very bottom of the support section it says:
Apple MacIntosh

Some customers have reported that the Windows clients can run successfully in Parallels on a Mac OS/X, and the IM-Live Java client can run successfully on Mac OS/X with the latest Apple Java version which can be downloaded from: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/java/

First off, I have no idea what they mean by it can run successfully in "Parallels". I followed the download link which is no longer valid. Instead I searched for Java on the apple site. When I go to install the latest version of Java I get the following message:

Im currently running version 10.5.6 which is higher than the 10.4,10 thats mentioned on the error message but it wont allow me to download the update/initial install of Java. I see that there are different versions of the MAC OS with names like Tiger as mentioned above but I dont know what that means for me and how do I get the version of Java as noted above installed on my MAC? My friend who I'm going to visit has a pc but he said it locks up on him about every hour or so and then you have to let it cool down before restarting it :Angry:

Any help from you MAC pros would be appreciated because I am new to the MAC world and this is frustrating me :'( Thanks in advance.

OP
N
Reaction score
I just started this thread in another location as well because being new to this forum I'm not really sure what section this question would apply to best. So please accept my apologies for my double posting but I really need an answer to this question as soon as possible as I'm leaving on Monday. Here's the question pasted from the other thread I started.

Hello all. Im new to this forum so I'll start out by saying Hi. I'm also new to MACs so now that I found this forum, I'm sure I will learn a lot.

I have a MAC notebook which is currently running MAC OS X Version 10.5.6. Im going away on vacation (first time in a year yay) and am currently taking a very important online class. The online class is given through Hotcomm and I need to download Hotcomm CL. While visiting their website I noticed that pretty much all of their downloads are for Windows but at the very bottom of the support section it says:
Apple MacIntosh

Some customers have reported that the Windows clients can run successfully in Parallels on a Mac OS/X, and the IM-Live Java client can run successfully on Mac OS/X with the latest Apple Java version which can be downloaded from: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/java/

First off, I have no idea what they mean by it can run successfully in "Parallels". I followed the download link which is no longer valid. Instead I searched for Java on the apple site. When I go to install the latest version of Java I get the following message:

Im currently running version 10.5.6 which is higher than the 10.4,10 thats mentioned on the error message but it wont allow me to download the update/initial install of Java. I see that there are different versions of the MAC OS with names like Tiger as mentioned above but I dont know what that means for me and how do I get the version of Java as noted above installed on my MAC? My friend who I'm going to visit has a pc but he said it locks up on him about every hour or so and then you have to let it cool down before restarting it :Angry:

Any help from you MAC pros would be appreciated because I am new to the MAC world and this is frustrating me :'( Thanks in advance.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I did a little research and see that since the program to be downloaded is a .exe file that I'd need to run windows on my mac on a seperate partition or something along those lines. My question is, do I need to purchase a seperate version of Windows made for a pc or can I use any windows disc that I have which was made for my PC? Thanks in advance :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I did a little research and see that since the program to be downloaded is a .exe file that I'd need to run windows on my mac on a seperate partition or something along those lines. My question is, do I need to purchase a seperate version of Windows made for a pc or can I use any windows disc that I have which was made for my PC? Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Regarding Java... Apple provides updates for that as needed via OS X's built-in Software Update app. Since you have 10.5.6, you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as Java versions go.

As for this Hotcomm CL software, it apparently is Windows-only. When they say it runs in Parallels, they mean the virtualization software that lets you run Windows XP at the same time as OS X on an Intel Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you already own a windows disk then you can install windows in one of 2 ways.

1. Apples Bootcamp application will partition your harddisk and install windows on a separate partition - you will need to shutdown and restart to run windows, but you cannot run OS X and windows at the same time

2. Run windows in a separate window within OS X

THere are many programs that will do this including Parallels. If you just need windows for that program you could download VirtualBox for free from Sun, it is simple to set up, all you need is a windows disk

VirtualBox

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
** Merged Duplicate Crossposts/Threads ** Was not sure which thread to use as part of your question is OSX Java and the other is Windows.

Users have already answered your question quite well so I have nothing more to add.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies. I saw what you guys were talking about last night and was just unsure if I needed a special version of Windows made for the MAC or if I could use my regular Windows disc. But you guys answered my questions so I will go ahead and use the bootcamp to try and install Windows later on today. Appreciate the help. I'll post up if I have any additional questions and I apologize for double posting this thread. Enjoy your day everyone. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.