Reformat Lacie hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all. New Mac user here.

I have a 1 TB Lacie hard drive that I used on my PC. I can't seem to be able to reformat it using the iMac utilities.

The instructions from Lacie says to use the utilities & select the partition tab. I don't see that tab anywhere.

Also, when I try to erase the contents I get an error code "61". I can't find any reference as to what that means.

I've copied what I wanted from the hard drive, now I just want to reformat to Mac so I can save to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mount your drive on the Mac desktop.

Select Applications, select Utilities, select Disk Utilities.

You should be able to "see" your LaCie drive and of course your MacIntosh HD and Superdrive. Here's how to format it:

1. Find the LaCie drive in the list of drives on the left.
2. Click on the line that shows capacity (GB)
3. Click erase at the top of the screen
4. Select the desired format - OS X Extended for Mac use only, or MS DOS for using the drive for both OS X and Windows.
5. Change the name of the drive if so desired
6. Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. Wait until it's finished. (takes awhile)
7. You're done.

Regards.

Reaction score
LACIE won't format

Hello,

Thanks for your help, I followed the info advice given, but now it won't format, before it wouldn't write to the drive, now it won't write or even read the drive.

Any ideas?

When I try what you say, this message comes:

Disk Erase failed with the error:

File system formatter failed.

Any ideas?????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why are trying to erase and reformat your drive? Were you getting errors before you attempted to erase it? The reason I ask is because it sounds like your drive has failed.

Reaction score
well, I've been working all night to format some old LaCie portable drives formally used in a DOS environment and find that one needs first to format the drives using Windows 7 as a single partition, once accomplished, take the drive over to the MAC side and journal erase - this is complicated but rescues the un-rescueable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.