Time Capsule 1TB set up as a router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Dual 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SD RAM
Hi everyone,

I'm a newb.

I have heard that it is possible to have the Time capsule set up as a router (getting rid of the netgear router that I have as it is useless).

can someone please provide a step by step guide to set up the Time capsule as a router - i.e I want to plug the telephone line from the wall into the Time casule rather than to the existing netgear router with ethernet cable coming from router into Time capsule). Is this possible?

Additionally - has anyone ever tried attaching the Time capsule to a Samsung HD TV. What I want to do is access movies that I am storing on the Time capsule (in addition to the Time Machine backups) as I use the Time Capsule as a network (external hard drive too) and wish to view movies on TV - do you know if this is possible to do?

Many thanks,

Alex :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The TC is not a modem however. You will still require a modem (assuming the netgear is combo modem/router) to connect the incoming phone line for your DSL and internet access and then ethernet cable from modem to the ethernet WAN port on the TC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.