PDA

View Full Version : My first Mac and digital recording....

ronthesoundguy
06-17-2009, 08:45 AM
After all the years of frustration, trying to get my studio PC to be a recording tool, I have purchased a Mac to see the difference everyone else seems to know about.

First of all my choice was limited, since I am not wealthy, so I went for an older system using a Power Mac G4, 667mhz processor, 512mb RAM, 60gig hard drive, a reconditioned Mac.
I chose a simple, time tested Hardware and software combination, the DIGI 001 interface and Pro Tools 6.1, that matched the Mac G4 to a tee.

Of course in all things great and small, there are issues.

I finally got the time to put the system together and after installing the hardware and software, I hit a brick wall. Seems the version OS X (10.3.9) that came on the Power Mac G4 has a bit of a conflict with Pro Tools 6.1, so every time I tried to launch a new file or just play the demo session the Mac crashed (telling me to hold the power button down to restart)!

This was frustrating, to say the least. A day of research and a bit of help from a couple friends, made me decide to reinstall an older version of OS X (10.2. Jaguar), which one of them had the discs I needed.

After a few hours of reinstalling the OS, a couple discrete updates, I was on my way to success.
Yes, after all the trouble, the system seems stable and even my newest M-Audio 88-key controller works with the USB over MIDI for tracking!

My PC stands alone for internet, email and printing documents.

What are your thoughts?

Chris_Mav
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Were you not able to get tiger on the powerbook?

QDaMan
06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I switched from my PC with Reason and Reaper to an iMac with Logic Pro--I never regret that decision! Good to hear you got it all working.