• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Support Tehran Iran!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I've been following some updates from folks inside Iran via Twitter posts, that has been incredibly interesting and eye opening. Finally found a use for Twitter ;)

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
yeah same here! I joined twitter 3 months ago and yesterday was the only time i actually needed it for something...thanks CNN...you are useless!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
This will be an interesting thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Isn't the president relatively powerless in a theocracy like Iran?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't think he's that powerless. Otherwise, they wouldn't be protesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Isn't the president relatively powerless in a theocracy like Iran?

Relatively, yes. The main areas of control that the President does have is over the economy and Iran's world image. Mousavi supporters are angry with Ahmadinejad's handling of the economy (double digit inflation despite abundant natural resources), and the hostile image of Iran that he's fostered. Stuff like nuclear policy and the military remain in the hands of the Ayatollah, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Relatively, yes. The main areas of control that the President does have is over the economy and Iran's world image. Mousavi supporters are angry with Ahmadinejad's handling of the economy (double digit inflation despite abundant natural resources), and the hostile image of Iran that he's fostered. Stuff like nuclear policy and the military remain in the hands of the Ayatollah, however.

But the president could try and talk sense into them or enact change. Actually, that's the people's responsibility. There's only how many ruling "politicians" and how many citizens in Iran? They're slightly outnumber.

Anyways, this is politics, it's bound to go South.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Political discussion doesn't always have to go south but usually does. I would like to say that most people will keep their cool and being rational and polite contributors to this thread but I doubt it. I can see Godwin's Law popping it's head up here.

That said, I don't think too many people are going to disagree with protests about the rights of individuals to decide who their democratically elected leader should be. I could be wrong though. With that, I'm likely going to leave this one alone. Enjoy.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I love politics!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
FYI... though they hold elections for some positions, Iran does not have a democratically elected leader. Iran is an Islamic Republic led by a Supreme Leader. For that matter, the U.S.A. is not a democracy either but rather, a Republic which is not officially intended to be aligned with a particular religious sect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Of course the USA is a democracy

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To be fair though, the council in charge of overseeing the supreme leader is democratically elected much like Parliament is democratically elected to oversee the actions of the Prime Minister (and the governing party) here in Canada. To be fair to your point though, the list of candidates is screened by the government.

See here for more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Of course the USA is a democracy

It's more semantic than anything, but you could describe the US as a representative democracy, as opposed to a direct democracy. But it's worth noting that word republic is used to describe the US in the Pledge of Allegiance and the constitution. I always think of a republic as a nation ruled indirectly by its citizens, through elected officials for example.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's more semantic than anything...
Indeed it is. Democracy is more of an umbrella term, catching quite a few styles of governments with it. Canada is a parliamentary democracy/federation, the United States is a "Constitution-based federal republic", the United Kingdom is a "constitutional monarchy" and Russia is a federation but they are all democratic in the sense that each individual (if they meet particular criteria such as age and citizenship rules) have a right to determine the individuals who constitute the government.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
It's more of Representative Republic than anything else.

Btw, did you know that Iran has very few oil refineries? It's true. They may be able to produce a lot of oil, but they have to export it then have it imported after it's been refined from oil to gasoline. Oddly enough, we haven't built a new refinery here in the states in over 30 years.

Any Rush, Sean, or Levin fans here on the Mac forums like me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.