First gen iPhone won't restore

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got an first generation iPhone 8g from a friend's dad for free, due to the fact that they don't have AT&T anymore, and had it sitting around the house. From what I've heard though, it's been dropped, and stopped working. I'm figuring it's a hardware issue, but I want to try and figure out what, and if it's worth it to replace it. The warranty has run out, so I'm saving a trip to the apple store as my last resort. Hopefully, if nothing else works, then they will at least tell me what is wrong with the phone.
When I first got it and brought it home, I tried turning it on, and nothing happened. When I got home and plugged it in the charger, the apple came up on the black screen, then it pretty much ~faded away~. I really have no other explanation for how it did, but like the screen formed lines, and went to a black screen slowly. When I tried reseting it, the screen went to the apple screen, but then just blanked out. No response, and no fading away lines.
When it's unplugged, it doesn't respond to anything.
After a few tries, I was able to get it into DFU mode, where my computer finally recognized it. I tried restoring it on iTunes, and it wouldn't go past the preparing to restore screen, but instead, gave me a 1603 error.
I've tried restoring it on the newest version of iTunes, another user on my computer, using a different cord, in a different usb port, and I always get the 1603 error.
Now, when it's plugged in and I turn it on, it will show the apple screen then show the plug into iTunes screen.
I also tired downgrading iTunes to 8.1 and stopping and restarting the Apple Mobile Device service, both which also ended up in the 1603 error as well.
I'm not sure what my next step is, if it's going to a be a cheap fix, then I'll try ordering the part and fixing it myself, otherwise I give up.
Hope someone can help pinpoint what the hardware problem is. Thank you in advance.
Cross posted to other forums, so sorry if you see this more than once ;3;

OP
A
Reaction score
I take it you have tried all of this. Still looking.

Error 1603 When Restoring iPhone in iTunes

Ah, try this one. Read it carefully!

iPhone Trick? Solving Error 1603 Problem | iPhonefreak

I've tried everything on the first link, as well as Update and restore error messages on iPhone and iPod touch. The only think I have been unable to do was to try and restore on another computer.
As for the second link you gave, the phone gives no indication of a charge, and I'm not able to turn it on or anything unless it's plugged in, and then it only goes tot he plug into itunes screen. And I haven't even put my SIM card in the phone to begin with ;_;
Tomorrow, I'm going to try updating the usb drivers on my computer, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try on another computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was hoping it was the SIM card. Have you tried leaving it plugged in USB for a few hours and see if the battery will change? I worked on a First Gen one like yours and it took over an hour to even start charging but once it did, it again held a pretty good charge. I got that error also at first but it went away.

The battery can be replaced if it's dead and will not charge but do try leaving it charging a few hours.

I will keep looking the the SIM card tip was the last one I found so far.

OP
A
Reaction score
I was hoping it was the SIM card. Have you tried leaving it plugged in USB for a few hours and see if the battery will change? I worked on a First Gen one like yours and it took over an hour to even start charging but once it did, it again held a pretty good charge. I got that error also at first but it went away.

The battery can be replaced if it's dead and will not charge but do try leaving it charging a few hours.

I will keep looking the the SIM card tip was the last one I found so far.

Yeah, I left it plugged in all last night, and still nothing. I think either tomorrow or Monday I will bring it into the apple store and see if I can restore it on a Mac. And I'll make buddies with the geniuses :3. I'll reply whenever I go and let you know if it works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.