How to delete recently added songs in itunes?

Reaction score
I have tons of songs in the recently added folder in itunes. How do I get rid of them? Tried command delete, dragging etc. I have already moved the songs to specific playlist and want to clean up the recently added folder.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you have just moved them to a playlist and you delete them, they will no longer be in the playlist either.
Normally I just highlight the unwanted song and press delete, you get a message asking if you want to move it to trash, once you say yes that's it done.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just don't open the Recently added folder. It'll clear itself out after awhile.

Reaction score
Those are special play lists.

Option + Double Click the "Recently Added" link. And then you can modify the criteria for that list.

For example, I made it so that this list only shows material from the last 1 day :) So it is a brief list.

I needed this information a lot and looked it up. I hope this helps you as it helped me, and others to come.

Reaction score
"Just wait" isn't very useful, and highlight and delete doesn't work - at least not on my non-Mac laptop.

I couldn't follow the last suggestion - "options" didn't show (again, perhaps bc I don't have a Mac) but this seems a similar solution: right-click Recently Added, selevct Edit Smart Playlist, and then set Date Added to 1 day.

C

chas_m

"Just wait" isn't very useful, and highlight and delete doesn't work - at least not on my non-Mac laptop.

I couldn't follow the last suggestion - "options" didn't show (again, perhaps bc I don't have a Mac) but this seems a similar solution: right-click Recently Added, selevct Edit Smart Playlist, and then set Date Added to 1 day.

Glad you figured it out, that's what potheekaami was trying to communicate, but we didn't know that you didn't have a Mac.

Just a tip for future reference: as this forum is called Mac-Forums and is populated mainly by Mac users, when asking a question it's really helpful to make clear that you have a non-Mac machine. You'll still get the same friendly help, but you're likely to get a more accurate answer faster that way.

Reaction score
deleting recently added songs in itunes

Hi, I am new at this, I tried highlighting the songs I want to delete from the recently added page and hit delete but it still does not work. Do you have any other suggestions on how to do it? Thanks so much. Appreciate any tips;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you read the whole thread you'll work it out but in summation:

Recently Added is a 'Smart Playlist' - a dynamic folder that just shows you recently added items based on a set of rules. These are just pointers to the real items in your library.

Right-click on the playlist and edit the properties to limit what gets shown. Setting to 1 day will only show items added in the last 24hrs etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ nightrain0426 iTunes Smart Playlist have an icon resembling a cog to their left. Regular playlists have a musical note. Smart playlist are changed by a rule as mrplow suggested. Regular playlists can be changed the way you were doing

In earlier versions of iTunes Smart Playlists had an icon that resembled the one for smart folders.

Reaction score
Thanks

Clicking "option" then double click works. I had mines set to 2 weeks. Now it is two days and only 2 songs appeared. AWESOME!!! Thanks CLIMATEBOX2010....This was so helpful. Thanks so much. This was the answer to my question!!!!:Cool:

Reaction score
If you have just moved them to a playlist and you delete them, they will no longer be in the playlist either.
Normally I just highlight the unwanted song and press delete, you get a message asking if you want to move it to trash, once you say yes that's it done.

how do you highlight them in itunes or the music app ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.